Mustard pool allergy

Pacs49

Jun 13, 2022
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Hello our pool is about 40 ft long and it’s a diving pool . We usually have a clean pool but I know this year we need to drain the pool and clean but we can’t get anyone to do it . We have pebble tec pool wit cartridge . I don’t know what is else is hook o the pool pump so the pool will clean . It’s automatic pool cleaner .there’s a salt cell also .
But anyway for two weeks now I’m telling my husband that there’s a mustard Allegra growing in the pool and everytime I will tell him he gets mad at me and tells me that there’s no alegae in the pool . So I will say ok then no allergy . I have diving pool and I cleaned it by myself for almost 3 decades . So finally I told him to put shock and he will only put one shock but he knew I will complain so he let me put two bags of shock . Normally I always put 3 shocks in my diving pool on my other house that I sold . So the pool get so cloudy and I can tell Algea is all over . He put phosphate the other day cuz I keep complaining and then he put clarifier and it helps to clear the water but still the algea is still in the pool . So finally yesterday he said why the wall is yellow so I said cuz there’s algea and he get mad again . So today he told me to shock the pool I said I will vacuum the pool cuz I bought a vacuum, and then we will clean the cartridge filter and then I will shock it . Ahhh he’s mad again cuz I didn’t listen to him . He said vacuuming the pool don’t makes sense to him cuz there’s automatic cleaner in the pool . I said look at the pool around that water thing that circulatates the automatic cleaning is clear but around it is yellow so meaning the automatic cleaner is doing the job cuz the algae is alive we need to get rid of algae ….so it’s a fight . So I’m doing the manual vacuuming while I’m brushing the pool I just alternate it cuz I can’t do it at the same time . So after I’m done brushing and vacuuming I put 3 bags of shocks ( which I hide one bag from him cuz he will let me put two shocks ) there’s an algea and I know from my 3 decades of doing it I always put 3 bags and it will clear up the next morning!

So am I doing the right thing ? Did the manual vacuuming and then shock it ! And tomorrow morning I will brush it again and I will put acid half a gallon of acid . And I guess it depends .

Can someone help me out I want to prove it to him that I’m doing the right thing .

This is a really hard post to respond to, because you’re asking us to tell you you’re doing it right when, but our standards, you’re not - though neither is your husband. It’s a bit hard to follow, but I think you’re saying, we have algae, so we’ve added powdered shock, phosphate remover, clarifier, and acid, but are disagreeing over whether two bags of shock is right or three.

First things first. You really have no idea what’s going on with your pool unless you’ve done a full round of tests with a good drop based test kit like TF100 or K2006. Get one on order. At best, you’re adding a lot of costly stuff to your pool that is not necessary, at worse, you’re doing bad things to your pool chemistry that you don’t know about.

Start reading the Pool School pages here. They provide a really good and understandable overview of how we manage pools.

This is a friendly place and more people will chime in with practical advice on what to do. Just know that getting control of your pool chemistry, and ridding it of an algae outbreak, particularly mustard algae, is likely to be a process. There is no instant fix. But it’s worth it.

Good luck!

Reactions: Mdragger88
+1 what Chazas said. Your approach is fundamentally wrong and doesn't match what we teach. TFP is directed at folks willing to test their own water and understand the results and learn what to do about them.

Please start with Pool Care Basics in Pool School.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.