Mustard algae?????

May 8, 2007
El Paso, Texas
Today was the first swim of the season, the pool has been clear, what I noticed while swimming was the floor was kinda slippery, I dawned the goggles and used my brush to brush the walls and floor, what I noticed was a kind of powder/haze when I brushed, as I kept on brushing, the pool was getting cloudy, is this the start of mustard algae???? If I brushed the wall with my hand same thing, kinda slippery, followed by a white cloud. Pool is over 2yrs old.

here are my numbers

FC 10
TC 10
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA100
CH 600
CYA70

I know my cya is high and have been keeping my FC up

What do you all think??????

Hey, Rock,

It doesn't sound like mustard algae to me. Mustard is commonly misdiagnosed so I'd assume it's regular algae and shock the pool up to about 25ppm or so. Hold it at that level for a couple of days and brush the floors and walls also. Keep your pump running. My guess is that will cure what I would suggest is just a lingering case of algae.

Mustard algae typically is brownish rust in color, likes to grow on the shady side of the pool and brushes up like dust but is back in the same spot the next day. It sounds like you have a more generalized condition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.