Mustard Algae?

Wayno

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2010
Central Fl
I've just recently found this website and converted to the BBB method. My pool looks the best it ever has BTW. My question is, there are several spots that are tinged in yellow, mostly around the steps and the shallow end. I'm trying to decide if it's mustard algae or just stains from algae outbreaks I've had in the past. Latest test numbers:

FC - 7.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 12
CH - 340
CYA - 60

Can I have mustard algae and still have a CC level of 0? As soon as I got the TF test kit I shocked the pool to normal levels and the water is crystal clear, but I'm wondering if I need to shock up to MA levels.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this site!

Wayne

Is it on the walls of the pool as well as the floor? Can you brush it away? Does it have a tendency to return again after being brushed away? Does it feel slimy? Have you been losing FC overnight? Any of these things can indicate MA.

If you suspect that you have MA, you should shock at MA levels. You should also clean all pool toys well with a bleach solution since MA likes to hang around on things like that.

For the record, you can have MA and still have no CC.

Thanks for the quick reply 257. You basically confirmed what I had pretty much already decided, which was MA level shock. Yes it is on the walls, brushes away but stubbornly, and it comes back. I've only done one OCLT and didn't lose any but if I can have MA and still have 0 CC's I guess that is reasonable.

At any rate, it won't hurt to err on the side of caution.

It sounds like you are on the right track. :goodjob:

I just noticed that your TA level reads 12. I hope that is a typo and it is actually 120 (or something else reasonable). If TA is actually 12 you want to raise it right away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.