Mustard algae using cartridge filter

If it is dead, it is dead. You could soak the filters in a bleach solution after cleaning but before you put them back in your filter assembly.

Take care.

Can you suggest a method for soaking the cartridge in a bleach solution? I don't have any vessel large enough to submerge the whole cartridge. Green algae has been returning for us periodically all summer.

I have 2 cartridges that I alternate and both are in their second season of use. They never look completely "clean" after washing and scrubbing.

Our FC dropped to almost nothing (.5) while we were away for a few days. So I am getting the supplies to SLAM starting today.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Terri

Get a plastic trash can that your filters will sit in.

The cartridges will never look 'as new' once used. If you believe you have oils, be sure to use TSP in your soak water.

Take care.

I was swapping out 2 cartridges when fighting yellow algae. Since it was before I followed TFP and SLAMMing it went on for a long time (over a month) The filter gets gummed up just like it would during regular use, and you can clean it with a hose just like normal. As long as the pressure is ok after putting it back you should be fine. If not then you can soak the filter (as stated above). If soaking the filter still doesn't get the pressure right then it's time to replace (look for replacements on amazon not the pool store) But it sounds like you would be fine if you just clean it.

Last edited:
Tri sodium phosphate. Most hardware stores have it. Its an industrial cleaner that is helpful removing oils without destroying the fibers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.