Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2023
Gaines, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I made an impulse buy of one of the above ground vinyl pools with absolutely no previous knowledge or experience. I am pretty sure from reading the forums and researching the internet I have mustard algae. The pool was testing well (according to strip tests, I have ordered the in depth test reccomnded by the community) and then we went on vacation... and came home to what looked like sand in the bottom of the pool. Since we don't have an abundance of sand in the yard I thought it could be the metals from the well water we used to fill the pool as before we left I added hth metal scale powder.

So I have been cleaning the pool every day, spent endless hours and money buying different types of vacuums for fine sediment removal and when those didn't work I tried creating my own filter to add to the vacuum. I tried everything I could find on the internet yet everytime I would vacuum I could see the "dust" billowing out of the vents on the vacuum. So I decided to run the filter 24 hrs a day for a couple of days and readied the initial dose of pool clarifier. The water remains cloudy and everyday when I change the filter out there is this yellowish slime covering it. I want to slam but I'm such a novice I don't know what all the chemicals listed really are.

Can anyone link or post a list of what chemicals I should buy? I know ph up and ph down chlorine stabilizer shock and alkalinity up. I currently use chlorine tablets in a floater. I guess if someone could help me out with a shopping list I could use to order exactly what I will need to properly slam when the test kit finally arrives? I have attached pictures unfortunately I have just stopped running the pump so I can show a picture of the sediment when it has time to settle. If have inly seen this sediment on the floor of the pool not the walls and it doesn't stick to the pool brush like some guy in a video on youtube Said i20230713_185104.jpgt should if it's algae.20230713_190302.jpg20230713_185115.jpg

Welcome to TFP 👋
First - take a breath…
Next - what kit did you buy?
Do you have it yet?
If so, do all the tests (one at a time) & post the results.
Like this
👇
Fc
Cc
Ph
Ta
Ch
Cya
If you don’t have it in yet - just add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine to the pool each day - pour it slowly infront of a running return & brush the area.
Use PoolMath to calculate how much that is.
Keep the pump running & clean the filter often.
Also, fill out your signature

Here is your shopping list:
Good test kit like one of these: Test Kits Compared
Liquid chlorine-Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot making sure to check the date codes. It should not be older than 3 months.

No need or reason to buy anything up or down. Take a look at what we buy and use:
Recommended Pool Chemicals

Now don't go buying anything other than liquid chlorine.

If you still have a chlorine puck in the pool go take it out for now. The pucks do add FC but they also add CYA. Here is a link to show you why that is bad: FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.