Mustard algae and trouble keeping clear.

JGeurin

Jun 13, 2023
Corpus Christi, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
IMG_6060.jpegA couple of questions for the experts, which I am not. 😉 I’ve been battling all May and June to stay clear. I had a CYA and phosphate issue which is now resolved. Now I’ve got it to relatively clear but I can’t keep it there. My most recent tests are included. I’ve treated the high ph and the calcium since the test. Based on this group I believe I have a mustard algae issue and I’m convinced I should SLAM. So my question is since I have seen the chart, included, to treat mustard algae. So can I do all of these things together? If so what is the sequence. My understanding is….brush, Yellow Out, SLAM. Since this is my first SLAM any guidance is greatly appreciated. 16500 gallons in south Texas, in ground chlorine gunite quartz finish, extreme heat of 120 heat index’s lately. I have 12 gallons of liquid 10% chlorine on hand, 4 lbs of Yellow Out. Ty!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6061.png
    IMG_6061.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5774.jpeg
    IMG_5774.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 12
No, please don’t use yellow out. Take it back & get your money back/exchange it for liquid chlorine.

The first part of the prescription is the same whether you have mustard or regular algae - do the
SLAM Process carried out to completion at normal slam level for your cya
FC/CYA Levels
Then afterwards you raise fc to MA slam level for 24 hours only & follow the protocols listed here
After doing this if you’re convinced you truly had mustard algae you may want to maintain mustard algae minimum for sometime afterwards.
Do do all these things you need a proper test kit.
Taylor k2006c or tf100/pro
You simply cannot rely on pool store testing to do the slam process. It requires accurate testing multiple times per day until completed.

Reactions: Bperry
View attachment 505186A couple of questions for the experts, which I am not. 😉 I’ve been battling all May and June to stay clear. I had a CYA and phosphate issue which is now resolved. Now I’ve got it to relatively clear but I can’t keep it there. My most recent tests are included. I’ve treated the high ph and the calcium since the test. Based on this group I believe I have a mustard algae issue and I’m convinced I should SLAM. So my question is since I have seen the chart, included, to treat mustard algae. So can I do all of these things together? If so what is the sequence. My understanding is….brush, Yellow Out, SLAM. Since this is my first SLAM any guidance is greatly appreciated. 16500 gallons in south Texas, in ground chlorine gunite quartz finish, extreme heat of 120 heat index’s lately. I have 12 gallons of liquid 10% chlorine on hand, 4 lbs of Yellow Out. Ty!!!
Yellow out is not something you want in your pool water and is not anything TFP would advise using.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.