Muriatic Acid

Liddlbit7

Jun 24, 2019
Syracuse, NY
So I just made a HUGE mistake - my alkalinity is 120. I used the Pool Math app but entered 140,000 instead of 14,000 - it told me to add a whole gallon of Muriatic acid - thankfully I didn’t but I did add half a gallon - then I just kept thinking this is just too much - now I’m panicking - any suggestions are very welcome

pH and alkalinity go together. You never look at them independently.

A TA of 120 may be fine depending on what your pH is. It would not necessarily be a reason alone to add chemicals.

Last edited:
Poolmath log is being shared -- pH of 7.6 and TA of 120. No reason to add MA, but as you have, just test pH. It might be about 7. Just use aeration to raise it back up.

Alk is 130 and pH is 8.0 +. Added Muriatic acid about 30 mins ago
Be sure to use your app to record tests if you wish us to use them.

EDIT --- I did not realize this was a new test --- questionable after adding 64oz of MA.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You know. I wasn’t going to do anything with the 120 but pool math had range of max of 90 and I have had some algae issues - so I went against my gut instinct :(

That’s why we have the Forum. If in doubt ask here. Never add stuff to your pool unless you know what effect it will have.

pH and TA have nothing to do with algae issues.

Reactions: Liddlbit7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.