muriatic acid --

Hi all! This is the stabilizer I've been using
for the last couple months, and I'm about to
run out. Should I buy the same kind again, or
does anyone have a recommendation for
a better type/brand? Thanks!

View attachment 64320
Have you been testing regularly, and/or replacing a lot of water? CYA only goes down with water replacement, most of us only add it once or twice per season (some not at all).

But the Clorox brand is fine, that's what I used this season.

I've been adding stabilizer a lot more regularly. I only filled my pool about a month ago, and so originally I needed to get some in there for the CYA to be at a normal level. I'll continue to use that brand- thanks. I'll also plan to cut back on adding as much to the pool since you're advising that it may only need to be added 1-2 times per season.

I've been adding stabilizer a lot more regularly. I only filled my pool about a month ago, and so originally I needed to get some in there for the CYA to be at a normal level. I'll continue to use that brand- thanks. I'll also plan to cut back on adding as much to the pool since you're advising that it may only need to be added 1-2 times per season.

Hi
what is your CYA level? What test kit are you using? Cya does not evaporate with your water. The only way your CYA level would need to be raised is if you drain some of your water and replace it with fresh water. So, if you added CYA after your fill and you haven't drained and replaced water, you shouldn't need to be adding CYA, unless you hadn't initially had it at the proper level (too low). If you get your CYA level too high, eventually your chlorine won't be able to keep up.

These are my CYA readings from the past month:

100+ 5/14 (drained after this reading)
20ppm 5/21
10ppm 5/26
50ppm 6/3
40ppm 6/11
40ppm 6/16
50ppm 6/20
50ppm 6/26

The only time I'll drain water is during a back wash, so I'll keep the stabilizer out unless I'm adding in a lot of new water after a back-washing.

These are my CYA readings from the past month:

100+ 5/14 (drained after this reading)
20ppm 5/21
10ppm 5/26
50ppm 6/3
40ppm 6/11
40ppm 6/16
50ppm 6/20
50ppm 6/26

The only time I'll drain water is during a back wash, so I'll keep the stabilizer out unless I'm adding in a lot of new water after a back-washing.

Are you draining a lot of water during your backwash? How often are you having to backwash?
What test kit are you using?

Although I am not one of the resident experts, it seems to me that you should not be losing so much CYA...

I add enough CYA at the beginning of season to get it to 80 (SWG so recommended is 60 -80). And I just let it go from there. One year I was down to 50 near the end of swim season, but I just left it as is. During the winter I got a lot of rain, but I never really measured the CYA and just left the FC around 4. By the start of next season it was 30 so I bumped back up then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.