Muriatic acid vs Cyanuric acid

Gregadaka

Jan 25, 2019
Florida
My CYA levels have been low or just within limits for months. This of course has a negative impact on my chlorine levels -lots of sunshine in the summer. I found Muriatic acid in Lowes & I used that a few days ago. It seems it's not the same as CYA... I tried to read my CYA level with the TFP kit. It's zero now. Is there another test for Muriatic acid? Do Muriatic acid and Cyanuric acid do the same thing?

My CYA levels have been low or just within limits for months. This of course has a negative impact on my chlorine levels -lots of sunshine in the summer. I found Muriatic acid in Lowes & I used that a few days ago. It seems it's not the same as CYA... I tried to read my CYA level with the TFP kit. It's zero now. Is there another test for Muriatic acid? Do Muriatic acid and Cyanuric acid do the same thing?

Muriatic acid lowers PH, and also TA. It has no effect on CYA. There's no test for muriatic acid that I know of.

Reactions: Gregadaka
Do Muriatic acid and Cyanuric acid do the same thing?
No, they are completely different things that just both happen to be acids. Muriatic acid is simply diluted hydrochloric acid used for pH adjustment. There is no test because once it is in the water it stops being muriatic acid. It just turns to salt.

Cyanuric Acid is weakly acidic molecule. It is a dissolved solid in the water and remains nearly indefinitely. It binds with chlorine to reduce the strength and also protects it from UV degredation.

Reactions: Gregadaka
No, they are completely different things that just both happen to be acids. Muriatic acid is simply diluted hydrochloric acid used for pH adjustment. There is no test because once it is in the water it stops being muriatic acid. It just turns to salt.

Cyanuric Acid is weakly acidic molecule. It is a dissolved solid in the water and remains nearly indefinitely. It binds with chlorine to reduce the strength and also protects it from UV degredation.
That's a pretty thorough explanation Donldson, thanks so much! Now I'm going to have to raise my pH with Bicarb and still buy that Muriatic acid..
Anyway, lesson learnt 😁

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.