Muriatic Acid Splashed on Concrete While Balancing pH

I’ll have some handy next time. Im so scared of handling acid. It freaks me out. I’m a scientist, so I’ve seen horrible things before. I have long acid gloves with me and some safety glasses, but I’m still terrified of it. I honestly don’t trust my clumsy husband to do any acid handling lol. Next time I’ll be a bit more careful. I think my nerves get the best of me for sure.
If you are scared of acid, which is something that can be dangerous, you can always spend more money and use dry acid rather than liquid. You might find this a bit safer to use. (you can disolve some of the dry acid in a 5 gallon bucket of water, then simply pour into the pool, repating until completely done)

you can always spend more money and use dry acid rather than liquid.
Dry acid is not recommended by TFP. The sulfates build up in the pool and can damage metals and cement/plaster. It can also lend to creating calcium sulfate scale.

Reactions: Mendy48
It does bring up a great point though that the bottles of MA at Home Depot / Lowe’s that say Eco, Green, or Low fumes are half strength and won’t scare you nearly as much. Your safety is worth far more than the extra $10 to buy a second jug.

I guess I stand corrected. Though I wonder out loud, in a rainy midwestern city like Midland going to provide sufficient water replacement/dilution? I can only compare it to CYA in my pool, and how I lose huge amounts of CYA each year as a result of the rain in my area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do the same thing. 128 ounce bottle, 4 2.25" marks is ~32 ounces. 8 1.ish" marks ~16 ounces. I've learned that pool chemistry doesn't need to be an exact science. ;)
I’m really trying to understand this. How do you mark a jug, if you really can’t see through it to know if you acid has reached the mark or not. Is that what y’all are talking about?

Mendy48, just mark with a black sharpie marker, and you should be good. truthfully, after a few times, you will just eyeball it. In a 17,200 gallon pool, 10 ounces of 31% acid effectrs the pH by 0.1. As RMcGirr83 said, pools dont require exact science. Close is usually good enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.