Muriatic acid questions.

mepot101

May 25, 2019
Orlando, Fl
Two questions about muriatic acid. I bought some at HD yesterday, they had a pallet dated 19022, I found another pallet dated 19143. I bought the newer stuff, but was wondering if it gets weaker with age like chlorine?
Also, is it OK to store it outside, in the heat. ( not direct sun).

Mike

MA pretty much retains its strength. Outside storage is fine out of direct sun. Just not WITH chlorine or around metal----it will corrode it from the fumes. Make sure it is ventilated storage.

I find that new MA comes in a sealed jug... I keep the unopened stuff inside a shed and it does not appear to be causing any issues..

I store my opened MA jug outside in an old plastic cat litter bucket with a few holes drilled in it to let any vapors escape.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I find that new MA comes in a sealed jug... I keep the unopened stuff inside a shed and it does not appear to be causing any issues..
Some of those seals actually are vented - look for the little circle on the seal . Best to be safe and store all your acid outside in a covered and ventilated container.

Ok. Storing Muriatic Acid in a shed or garage where everything is located including chlorine is not a good idea? If not deliberately mixed it can still cause issues?
Yes - it can still cause issues. Keep them in separate locations. Muriatic acid is best stored outside in a well ventilated area out of direct sunlight and away from any metal.

Reactions: brucehenson
Ok. Storing Muriatic Acid in a shed or garage where everything is located including chlorine is not a good idea? If not deliberately mixed it can still cause issues?
Anything metal within a few yards of the jug will end up with a fine layer of surface rust from the venting fumes.

Myself, I'm not worried so much about the fumes reacting with bleach fumes, but if the two liquids mix because of a spill or a jug leaking or something got dropped that punctured one of each, you get chlorine gas, which is highly toxic.

Reactions: brucehenson

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I moved my sealed MA jugs to a plastic cabinet that I keep outside close to my grille. I had 2 gallons of MA and 2 gallons of liquid chlorine on the same metal shelf in my shop. Stored right under my chainsaw and gas. I thought that I was all good with testing supplies and chemicals all in one convenient place... TIME BOMB??☄️

Once again, learning a lot, thanks.

We bought a small plastic container that doubles as a one-person seat to put in the pool area. Fits 2 gallons of MA and a 5-gallon plastic bucket in it, along with my (new) junky plastic measuring cups. :)

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.