Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I'm considering a stenner pump or DIY to automate muriatic acid injection. This is the final step to mostly put things on auto pilot.

However, I'm concerned about potential corrosion given my pool equipment is in a mostly closed room. As it is, I have white stains starting to show on the concrete walls (not sure what that is exactly) within a year of building. The door is made of fence picket, allowing for some ventilation. I would either punch a hole through the top of a jug of acid (with mild ventilation) or fill a larger container (stenner approach) and cover it.

1. Do you think putting (slightly) open muriatic acid in this room a valid concern or am I over thinking this?
2. Any thoughts on ventilating this out safely?

pool_under.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-08-04_10-24-42_265.jpg
    2022-08-04_10-24-42_265.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 5
You should get a proper Stenner tank that seals in vapors. You do NOT want an open bottle of MA in a confined space. The vapors are heavier than air and can lead to all sorts of corrosion. In fact, you can locate the Stenner pump anywhere and run the line to the equipment. That way, the tank could actually be located away from the equipment.

I would also suggest you clean the efflorescence off the concrete pool and spa walls and seal those exposed surfaces with a good water barrier material, the kind that is used to seal basements. If you don’t, the white efflorescence will only get worse.

Thank you @JoyfulNoise for the feedback on the efflorescence, as well as the Stenner approach.

Wouldn't the Stenner tank also vent? When liquid goes out something has to re-occupy that lost space, which would be air, right?

Thank you @JoyfulNoise for the feedback on the efflorescence, as well as the Stenner approach.

Wouldn't the Stenner tank also vent? When liquid goes out something has to re-occupy that lost space, which would be air, right?

Good Stenner tanks have one-way equalizers on them. When the pump moves the liquid out of the tank, a check valve lets makeup air in. But when the tank is sitting there, no vapors can escape.

Good Stenner tanks have one-way equalizers on them. When the pump moves the liquid out of the tank, a check valve lets makeup air in. But when the tank is sitting there, no vapors can escape.
Incredible. That helps explain the cost being so much higher vs the cheaper peristaltic pumps. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.