G23

Apr 2, 2018
Baton Rouge, La
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After doing some research on skimmer cracks I have decided to use Schmear (ABS pellets mixed with M.E.K.) for the repair. As you can see in the pics there are multiple cracks of varying sizes. Before doing so I would like to get some help with the following:

1. Given the number of cracks does this repair make sense?

2. The ground around the immediate area of the skimmer sounds hollow when I tap on it with a pole. Is this something I should be concerned about?

3. In the attached pics skimmer 4 and 6 show where I have used pool epoxy this past year. The epoxy is holding up extremely well and is pretty hard. Should I leave this alone or replace it with more epoxy?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Skimmer 2.jpeg
    Skimmer 2.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Skimmer 3.jpeg
    Skimmer 3.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 13
  • skimmer 4.jpeg
    skimmer 4.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Skimmer 5.jpeg
    Skimmer 5.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 13
  • skimmer 6.jpeg
    skimmer 6.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 13
Wow what is causing this? Ground movement? Ice? I think for sure I would go the epoxy/patching route before replacing it. Replacing will be way more expensive you have nothing to lose trying.

Also yes fill any voids and find out why you have voids. Could be from a constant skimmer leak.

Reactions: G23
Well, this is one of those scenarios where you do your best to limp along season after season to avoid digging and the costly $$$$. I get it. Sure, epoxy is handy and can save the day. At some point however, you just have to say "that's it", and do the swap. You're about there. You can try the epoxy and monitor. Doesn't hurt to try. At some point, it will be time to pull out the old and install the new along with a good backfill to support the skimmer. The hollow sounds you hear mean there is no support for the skimmer which I suspect is adding to the stress and cracks already seen. Let us know what you chose and how it goes.

Reactions: G23 and Bperry
Like others have said, nothing to loose trying to patch the cracks. At the same time start planning on replacing them. If you can fill the hollow sounding areas around them that should help stabilize the skimmers and hopefully buy you some time. The hollow is probably from the leaks and poor backfilling when the pool was built.

If your previous fixes are holding I would leave them alone. Silicone is tough to clean off and it leaves behind residue that difficult for anything to adhere too.

Reactions: G23
Wow what is causing this? Ground movement? Ice? I think for sure I would go the epoxy/patching route before replacing it. Replacing will be way more expensive you have nothing to lose trying.

Also yes fill any voids and find out why you have voids. Could be from a constant skimmer leak.

Well, this is one of those scenarios where you do your best to limp along season after season to avoid digging and the costly $$$$. I get it. Sure, epoxy is handy and can save the day. At some point however, you just have to say "that's it", and do the swap. You're about there. You can try the epoxy and monitor. Doesn't hurt to try. At some point, it will be time to pull out the old and install the new along with a good backfill to support the skimmer. The hollow sounds you hear mean there is no support for the skimmer which I suspect is adding to the stress and cracks already seen. Let us know what you chose and how it goes.
Like others have said, nothing to loose trying to patch the cracks. At the same time start planning on replacing them. If you can fill the hollow sounding areas around them that should help stabilize the skimmers and hopefully buy you some time. The hollow is probably from the leaks and poor backfilling when the pool was built.

If your previous fixes are holding I would leave them alone. Silicone is tough to clean off and it leaves behind residue that difficult for anything to adhere too.
Thanks for the great advice. I think the cracks are a result of a combination of things: age, 20 degree temperatures, and long term leaking. I am going to patch it with the schmear so I can at least get the pool up and running in addition to getting some quotes for a replacement.

Reactions: Texas Splash