Multiple Drain And Refill To Drop CYA

Hey all, new to the forum. Second season as a pool owner, first season not taking advice from the local pool stores (last summer was expensive chasing algae and cloudy water issues thanks to them). I tested my CYA a couple days ago and came to the realization that I have to drain and refill the pool as there is around 200ppm in the water. I can only assume the previous owner used trichlor pucks for chlorination as they left when i moved in. I continued chlorination with the pucks last year as well.
It is a vinyl liner so today I drained it until only 6 inches was remaining in the shallow end and have refilled and will circulate all night. Tomorrow I will repeat this process. My question is once the second refill is complete how long will it take before the CYA levels stabilize from the decades of trichlor run through the equipment?
I suspect I may have to drain and refill a third time to get CYA low enough to use a combination of trichlor pucks (I have a full bucket to use up) and liquid bleach. In my limited research into CYA on TFP there was a post that it may take 3 to 5 days for the CYA to leach out of all the components and back into the water. Is there a ppm number that I could be testing for after 24 hrs that would be a good indicator whether I will need a third drain and refill after all the existing CYA leaches out of the equipment? I ask as it is a significant expense to heat the water up and I don't want to deprive the kids of the pool for a week while I'm waiting on a final CYA number.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

it may take 3 to 5 days for the CYA to leach out of all the components and back into the water.
That's bogus. The "components" don't absorb CYA in ANY measurable fashion.

If you drain 50% of your pool, you will have a 50% reduction in CYA immediately.

If you can find that info here on TFP again, would you post the link, please? We need to correct that.

Reactions: RainbowFartz
hehe at your user name and pic!!

You do not have to use the pucks. They will last a long time in the bucket so long as they are kept dry. You can save them for weekend trips and such down the road.

Dave has you covered on the CYA ideas.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: RainbowFartz
If you can find that info here on TFP again, would you post the link, please? We need to correct that.

It was a post from someone who i may have wrongly inferred as reputable in the forums. Not in any of the reference media on the site.

You do not have to use the pucks. They will last a long time in the bucket so long as they are kept dry. You can save them for weekend trips and such down the road.

That's good to know. I will discontinue use once I have CYA at target and just chlorinated with bleach.

Thank you two for keeping me on track to get on the BBB program.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.