Multiple Cells; in a row or separate lines?

Jun 3, 2017
Wellsboro
I had a question about setting up multiple cells. I bought a saltwater generator for my pool that is not quite keeping up, and rather than buy a completely new, oversized generator that could handle my pool by itself, I'm thinking of getting the another, same-sized one (economical reasons).

My question is, can I set them one after another in the return line, or do I need to split the line after the filter and have each cell work on a separate line?

Sorry; this seems like a basic question but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere (tried the search feature and came up short).

Please edit your profile and add a signature line listing your pool specifics and equipment. How are you testing your water? Please post up some accurate test results for us to look at.

rdu,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your Parallel SWCG parking questions... :shark:

I am not sure why you can't run them in series, but I agree that it does not "sound" right... :confused:

The problem with running them in parallel is that you will need twice the amount of flow to make them work...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

6CELL-MANIFOLD.png

Pool Pilot Professional - AutoPilot Website

Here are some in series.

You can do in series or parallel. Since they don't take much flow, in parallel is not a bad solution.

I've seen a few articles discussing how to set up multiple salt chlorinators on the same pool. Here is just one below that gives reasoning behind not using a series type connection.

This is a Hayward blog but I know I read something similar with either Jandy or Nature2's documentation.

Salt Chlorine Pools for Commercial Pools and Spas

Without a simple chlorine generating system available for commercial pools, those facilities that recognized the benefits of using these systems and had the available space within their equipment rooms, along with the sufficient capital to invest, opted for the use of multiple, residential salt chlorine generators.

Oftentimes, due to installation space and complexities, the systems were plumbed in a series configuration. This meant the salt cells were plumbed inline one directly after another. While this type of installation has been widely practiced, it does not represent the most efficient or cost-effective method of reaping the true benefits of salt chlorination. Studies have shown when salt cells are installed in this manner the system’s efficiency can potentially be compromised as the water moves through each successive salt cell.

More specifically, as electrolysis occurs within a cell, salt concentrations are depleted (as salt is converted to chlorine) and gas bubbles are generated, which affect the performance of the next successive cell. Chlorine production is predicated on an expected concentration of salt in the water and having cells configured in series can deprive successive salt cells downstream of the proper salt levels required for optimum chlorine production.

More critical, however, is the presence of gas bubbles as they disrupt the ability of the dissolved salt to come in direct contact with the chlorine generator’s active electrode surface. Only at the surface of the electrodes can the salt be converted to chlorine. When salt cells are installed in sequence, gas bubbles significantly interfere with the key mechanism of chlorine production by blocking the active surface area. For this reason alone, manifolds using a parallel flow path through multiple cells should only be employed when it is necessary to install multiple systems on a given pool.

The conversion from chloride to chlorine only removes a few ppm of the salt. So, the effect is negligible.

The bigger issue is that the gasses created keep the blades from being completely wetted and that would be the primary reason for diminished capacity.

I agree that parallel is probably better. Series can reduce downstream performance.

I don't know how much the performance is reduced for each cell. For two cells, it's probably not that much, especially if you have good flow.

I would say that parallel is preferred, but series can be used if necessary.

I think that series should probably be limited to 2 or 3 in series. Having six in series as shown by AutoPilot is probably too much.

Welcome to TFP!

What sized cell are you using and what size of pool do you have?

If the cell is not undersized for your pool there is most likely a chemistry issue with the water. Two cells are rarely needed for residential pools.

In parallel will be best for cell performance. In series can be used as the PoolPilot cells above will work. The vertical installation will help remove any gas bubbles that are generated compared to cells in series.

The conversion from chloride to chlorine only removes a few ppm of the salt. So, the effect is negligible.

The bigger issue is that the gasses created keep the blades from being completely wetted and that would be the primary reason for diminished capacity.

I agree that parallel is probably better. Series can reduce downstream performance.

I don't know how much the performance is reduced for each cell. For two cells, it's probably not that much, especially if you have good flow.

I would say that parallel is preferred, but series can be used if necessary.

I think that series should probably be limited to 2 or 3 in series. Having six in series as shown by AutoPilot is probably too much.

I agree with James. That first reason cited is complete horse manure. Even the largest residential cell (~3lbs of Cl2 gas output) would only add 1.5ppm/hr to 10k gallons of water. The reduction in 3500ppm salt content would be minuscule. Gas bubbles can be handled by configuring the cell’s orientation properly. At high enough flow rates, gas entrapment should be manageable.

For 2 cells I doubt you’d see any problems with a series configuration. The bigger issue is control & automation. Most systems are not designed to handle two cells so you’d have to have two power supplies and a way to handle them. I believe Pentair sells a commercial control system that allows one p/s to be slaved to a master p/s but I don’t think that have anything like that in their residential line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.