Much less flow in pool ...

krckrc

Aug 21, 2021
CA
I started noticing a week or two ago that my polaris 280 was running very slow. I finally got some time to check it out and have a bit of a puzzle. I have a pentair pump going into a pentair filter (cartridge) which then hits a backflow preventer valve on to a flow measurement in line gauge, into a pentair heater, and to the return line back to pool. This is showing a flow rate of about half what it would normally show. PSI at the tank is 30 psi. I figured something might be blocked as we recently had heavy rains so I cleaned out the basket sweep and the basket in the pump.

After I turned on the pump again, it seemed to prime on its own but it took longer than normal and I had to put it on a higher speed (I just went from 2800 to 3400 or so RPM. It is clear that there is a flow issue "somewhere" - return valves are open, etc... But not sure how to figure out "where". Could the intake line from the sweep be plugged somehow?

Check your weir doors in your skimmer and see if they are sticking.

K,

Sounds to me like your filter is just dirty.. When was the last time it was cleaned?

Algae can stop up a cartridge filter long before the water turns green...

What is your CYA level and where do you normally run your FC???

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have once of the circular weirs that fits into the filter basket. Seems to move in and out fine. I also checked the impeller and it doesn't seem clogged - I could feel with my hand (power off) through the basket area and turn the impeller freely. Do those one way valves ever go bad? The flow gauge has a lot of air in it, which seems odd. When I switch to pool solar heat mode, there is not enough pressure it seems to reach the roof either - so it seems the pump and system can't overcome the head load. With a high filter reading (20-30 psi, cartridge tank), could something be blocking the exit of the filter system? Kind of at a loss on what to do next - I suppose next is a thorough cleaning of the filters (4 cartridges) but they don't look too bad. But I can't see the rest of the bottom of the filter as it is not draining - I assume there must be a plug somewhere.

K,

I have a CCP-520 cartridge filter which also has 4 cartridges.. My filter pressure is about 2 lbs. at 1200 RPM... 30 lbs. sounds awful high to me..

There should be a drain plug in the bottom of the filter..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Spot on. Cleaned the filters out and back down to 18 or so psi at 3450rpm, everything seems to be running much better and the flow meter is back up to 70gpm or sow. I guess I just didn't notice the slow deterioration over time. Good call from Jimrahbe who may have noticed I had an earlier problem with greenies (hence the move to diy away from pool service) earlier.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.