Moving to Liquid Chlorine Questions

Steve.burg

Jul 6, 2020
Mason, OH
My pool is new and I have been using pucks to get my CYA levels up over 30. I seem to be there now so I have pulled my "floater" and have started decreasing the automatic chlorinator levels. Using the PoolMath app, I have been keeping the PH in check (I am sure from the CYA additions) with Borax and am making up the daily difference in Chlorine with 10% liquid.

My question is this: How do I determine the "daily" amount of liquid to add? Or should I just be reactionary to my daily tests? I am assuming most people who have been at this a while know they need to add X oz of liquid a day to overcome losses.

As I stated above, I am using it and logging daily.

OK. So why would you ask how much add? Daily losses in CL can vary depending on UV exposure. On a sunny day I can loose up to 3ppm. If its a bit cloudy (last few days), I can loose 1.5ppm. The the "daily" added amount can vary as much as 30oz. The real balancing act is the "Ideal" CYA level for your conditions that will minimize CL daily losses VS. how high the minimum CL level needs to be.

:)Cheers!

That’s what the target values are in the chlorine/CYA chart is. When you add the chlorine, shoot for the target so that 24-hrs later it is not lower than the minimum. I prefer to run a little higher, just in case my usage is higher.

You’ll get a feel for your pool once you start this process. Again, the goal is to put enough in so that you will never go below the minimum. Going too high is fine safety wise (as long as it’s not above SLAM), you will just be wasting some chlorine.

And yes, use Pool Math to convert the required PPM to an actual volume of liquid chlorine.

Reactions: Psycho1122
Thanks all. I think the answer to my question is: Yes, you do it reactively daily. Meaning test and then add to match your target.

I see lots of posts saying "add the equivalent of 3-5ppm daily," so whatever PoolMath says I should add to get there to cover losses. I am just trying to figure out the best routine.

Thanks all. I think the answer to my question is: Yes, you do it reactively daily. Meaning test and then add to match your target.

I see lots of posts saying "add the equivalent of 3-5ppm daily," so whatever PoolMath says I should add to get there to cover losses. I am just trying to figure out the best routine.
Steve, as others have said, you will get a feel for how much CL you go through each day. My pool uses about 4 ppm a day. Rather than testing everyday, I add a gallon of 10% everyday, adds 4.5 ppm, and consider it good. I only test 2-3 times a week.

Reactions: Steve.burg
I raise my FC to 10 in morning. Turn SWG off for entire day. Measure FC when sun goes down. That’s FC demand. Adjust SWG and pump run time accordingly by pool math. Of course I do this on a full sunny day.
or if by pool math you figure out what your cell is making for the day. You then take measurement early in morning and after sun goes down and figure it out. For instance my cell for my pool makes 3 ppm a day. I measured FC in morning at 6 ppm. At end of day FC is 6 ppm. Free chlorine demand in 3 ppm.

Reactions: Steve.burg
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.