Moving electric supply line

Hank2000

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
Louisville ms
First let me say I don’t post much but I read everyday and have learned a lot. Thanks to everyone

Now we are selling our house to be moved so the pool service that I have now is going away we are moving into my mother in laws house that is about 75 yards from the one we live in now. We just don’t need it and the new to us house is a lot bigger. Let me say that we own 3 houses need to down size and we live on 40 archers of land. Now I have to decide what to do about power to the pool. What would be better and cheaper in the long run. Here are my choices.

1. Put in a separate meter base close to the pool and pull off of it. (I have two meter base now I am paying for)

2 pull a service from my shop that is about 300 foot from my pool. If I do this will aluminum wire be ok or do I need to go with copper.

3 my sister in law has a house closer to the pool then our new one about 100 feet would be the longest I would have to pull. But then she will be paying for the power our pool uses not sure that will work. Lol

I will be putting in a 40 amp service. That should run the pump pool lights deck lights and an injection pump when I get around to town installing it. What do y’all think is best I want to do this right

Let me see if I get this right.

You are selling the house the pool currently is powered from.

The pool is staying where it is located and not moving. You will retain ownership of the property the pool is on.

Option 1- This sounds expensive and maybe not very pretty looking if it means new power poles and a meter pole sticking out of the ground. You will still need to trench wire to the pool pad.

Option 2- Its a long trench to dig but you retain control of the power bill for the pool. So long as the wire is sized correctly and you have enough power feeding the panel in the garage it doesn't matter if you use aluminum or copper for the feeder to the pool. You are looking at a #4 or #6 copper wire to carry 40amps over 300 feet. If you are going to be pulling close to 40 amps regularly I would go with the #4 wire. If you will only see 40amps infrequently for short periods of time then the #6 will probably do. I'm assuming you are running 220v service out to the equipment.

Option 3- Not really the best thing to feed power to your pool from a property that isn't yours. You never know what the future will bring and who may own that house down the road.

We own all the land our three house are very close to each other. Just sell ours the buyer has agreed to move it to new location. None of the 40 archers is for wall so that is not a problem. Not going to move the pool because we are only moving 100 feet or so so it will still be in the back yard. I have a 4 archer yard

Ahh was not thinking the house was mobile.

I still think keeping the power bill in your name will keep things simpler down the road, That does come at the cost of a longer trench and extra wire.

Adding another utility meter just adds to the monthly cost of running the pool.

That’s what I’m thinking. And the house to be moved is not a mobile home it’s a house. A friend lost his in a fire and is buying it to replace it moving about a mile. They move houses all the time here have him a good deal on it. House is paid for so had some room to work with him. Thank you for your help

Wasn't really implying a mobile home, I just never tend to think of any style of home as something that is movable.

I mean I do know that buildings get moved but in my neck of the woods it's far from something that is common.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.