Moving but house not sold. Drain swim spa?

Kidneydoc

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2013
Vero Beach, FL
In Florida. I am moving. House not sold. Hard to find anyone to watch 8 X 12 ft swim spa. Has salt water with Cl generator so Cl stable over many weeks with no use of spa. Ph get wonky at times. I will be back every month to check on it. Any opinions on 1) leave it filled, or 2) drain it. Thanks.

In that situation I would drain it. Be sure to blow out the lines as best you can. Are you taking it with you or selling it with the house?

If they wanna see it operate you can always fill it back up then.
If you were in a different part of the country that had a possible freeze risk over the next couple months I would advise to keep it operational but it’s located in southern Florida correct?

Mid Florida...Vero Beach. Never freezes. Problem is I am leaving town...house empty. Cl always stable, but pH will be off at times. I can check on spa once a month, but not more that that. Drain or leave it? What do you think?

Mid Florida...Vero Beach. Never freezes. Problem is I am leaving town...house empty. Cl always stable, but pH will be off at times. I can check on spa once a month, but not more that that. Drain or leave it? What do you think?
The ph is the issue. Also without use the fc might climb. A week or so at a time would be one thing but a month at a time is a bit long. To be honest if you’re moving & all that draining it takes the headache/worry away. Like Forrest Gump says, “ One Less Thing!”.

Your realtor will want it filled and beautiful. Given the automation and the monthly check I'd say leave it full. Overcompensate for your ph issue and let it ride. An empty spa is a broken spa to many buyers. It already limits your pool of prospects to people who want it, as it's just a problem to those who don't. Don't make it a question mark for the ones who do.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Can you find someone to look after it? Around here that would be expensive but many friends from FL tell me pool maintenance is very inexpensive in FL. The way the housing market seems to be going, it may sell much sooner than you think anyway.

Can you find someone to look after it? Around here that would be expensive but many friends from FL tell me pool maintenance is very inexpensive in FL. The way the housing market seems to be going, it may sell much sooner than you think anyway.

Especially if all it requires is swing by once a week and check pH and FC and adjust if necessary. It is not like it has to be brushed or the filter cleaned - nobody is using it. Find a close neighbor and use their pool service. That way they are in the area, so they are not taking time to travel. It is 20 min out of their day, tops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.