Moved to the salty side but have some questions

Sep 26, 2007
Southern NH
Hello, I love this site. It helped me move from Baquagoo to a nice clear chlorine pool. Recently I bought an Intex SWG, the older model. I have all my numbers correct including the salt. I'm just curious when people run their's and for how long. Also, the directions say to only run it while no one is in it. Does anyone ignore this? Right now I only run the filter when the sun is on the pool (about 8 hours) because I have solar panels. I prefer not to run it more if possible. If we have a good summer this year maybe I can switch to running it at night with the SWG. So, any thoughts? Thanks!

Do you have a bypass for the solar?
Yes, from an electrical safety standpoint - the intex units should not be run when swimmers are in the pool.

It's trial and error - every pool is unique and you have to figure out your pool's ideal time. Start with 3 hours daily on the SWG and see what kind of numbers that gets you - that little unit produces a good amount so try starting there and bump it up or down by an hour or so depending on how you end up.

I run mine for 3 hrs per day, starting at 8:30am, when the panels start getting sun. Its usually done by noon and we have a no swimming before noon rule for the kids :cry: But, since the swg is not UL listed, I make sure it's not running while we are in...conservative yes, but there are 1,000s of intex pools out there where I'm sure folks are swimming with the unit on...although like FPM, I would not advise doing so. With my CYA at 60 (13kgal pool), my fc falls about 1-2ppm over a 7 day period...If I run it for 4hrs, my FC rises about 2-3ppm over that same timeframe. I choose 3hrs so we have more time in the pool and just supplement every so often with a few cups of bleach.

My guess is at 15k gals, you'll end up around 4hrs...but start at 3hrs and see how it works out for you...good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

Poolmom, I have a T on my filter outlet with one side going through the SWG and into the pool and the other going to the solar panels then the pool. Both have shutoffs so I have control of flow. If this year keeps up the way it's going so far then I'll be able to shut off the solar panels or run it at night because I won't need more heat. The last couple years were not so good at this time. I do need to get the CYA up higher, I always have trouble with that one. That whole look at the dot thing seems to be so subjective.

Dmanb2b, I'm more concerned about the Chlorine then the electricity. My pool has all the electrical safety stuff and from what I read the Intex uses low voltage. Also, Intex doesn't say to unplug it just not run it. I'll figure it out just wanted to get a head start on what others do. Early morning may be the best bet but I'll need to get more on/off things for my timer. Untimately I'd like to have it run when no one is in it.

One more question that I forgot to mention on the first post is that my cord is not long enough to reach my plug. Do people use a special outdoor cord for this? Thx!

The intex has a timer built into it...it will turn itself on every 24 hrs, once you set it. Ex...if you set it to run for 3 hrs at 8am...it will turn on for 3 hrs every day at the same time, unless the power goes out or someone shuts the unit off. That pretty much all the adjustment it comes with...but it works :goodjob:

I am thinking about getting the Intex SWG. I know through a previous post of mine to stay away from the Krystal Clear model because of the copper ionization component. Would like to know what model you bought, ie. model number. I am looking at Model 56601E on Amazon.com. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.