Moved to a house that has a pool.

Nedim123

Feb 25, 2021
Tampa
Hello everyone. I’m glad that I found this forum. Last week I moved to Tampa and I’m very excited to use the pool. The previous owner told me that he maintained the pool himself and that he pretty much just used the chlorine tablets and every once in a while dump in a gallon of liquid chlorine.

I just received the TF100 test kit and also ordered a Warrior SE robot vac. I rinsed out the filter. The pool water looks clear. There are 2 chlorine pucks in the skimmer now.
I tested the water today and I want to start using the liquid chlorine to maintain my pool. Here are my test results.
Chlorine 3ppm
PH 7.8
Free chlorine 6ppm
CC 1ppm
Calcium 675ppm
Total alkalinity 140ppm
CYA 90ppm

What should I do?
Thank you.

Attachments

• EAC6A463-A2B2-4A9C-B8A3-E588B3B80E9A.jpeg
    EAC6A463-A2B2-4A9C-B8A3-E588B3B80E9A.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 94546755-4D50-433C-9D0F-9F46661A2E6A.jpeg
    94546755-4D50-433C-9D0F-9F46661A2E6A.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 45
  • B3CE5CB6-DB54-456B-B8C0-A69C613E4FF9.jpeg
    B3CE5CB6-DB54-456B-B8C0-A69C613E4FF9.jpeg
    668.1 KB · Views: 41
Welcome to the forum!
Great choice on getting a quality test kit.
See Recommended Levels
You will see that your CYA is quite high for a non-SWCG pool. That is due to the continuous use of trichlor (pucks).
Your CC of 1 ppm is also potentially concerning.
Read Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
I would suggest you remove the pucks, test the FC this evening after the sun goes down, and then test the FC and CC again in the morning before the sun shines on the pool. That will do the OCLT I linked to above. Report back here.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP and you be very pleased with information and guidance you can find here.
You mention Chlorine of 3ppm and FC of 6ppm so not sure which is it. Since you have TF-100 test kit it only measures FC and CC. I think you are also using both tests in the K-1000 kit that is included. There is no need to do the left side of it (for Chlorine) if you are using the powder in 10ml sample for FC and then for CC. Just use the right side for pH test.
The 1ppm reading for CC is an alert that you could have some potential algae. Doing the OCLT mentioned by Marty will help determine that. Also, for a CYA of 90 you need to target a FC level of 10-12ppm. So once you do your OCLT be prepared to add some LC. Did you also download the PoolMath app? This is very helpful to determine how much LC to add to get to your target levels.
I would also suggest you test your fill water - it is good info to have and also good to practice. Your high CH needs to be addressed later but focus on FC right now.
Good Luck.

Reactions: Nedim123
I will take out the pucks right now and test tonight and tomorrow. Yes I also tested with the left side of the gauge, which was a little hard to read. I will keep the thread updated.
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Edit: I would not be opposed to getting a salt water generator for my pool, if that’s what you guys would recommend.

Reactions: Auburn02

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be aware that your pH testing is not accurate when your FC is at 10 ppm or greater. So test your pH when the FC is under 10 ppm. You had reported a pH of 7.8 and TA of 140. With that combination it is likely you will need to add some acid occasionally.

Good that you passed the over night chlorine loss test. Your water is in pretty decent shape, especially once you get the CYA level down by draining some water.

The long term question you have to answer is how you want to chlorinate the pool: tablets, liquid chlorine, or salt water chlorine generator. I have done all three and the SWCG is by far the most convenient, but you'll have to research and decide what's best for you.

Reactions: HermanTX
Good that you passed the over night chlorine loss test. Your water is in pretty decent shape, especially once you get the CYA level down by draining some water.

The long term question you have to answer is how you want to chlorinate the pool: tablets, liquid chlorine, or salt water chlorine generator. I have done all three and the SWCG is by far the most convenient, but you'll have to research and decide what's best for you.

I am really leaning toward getting a salt water generator. There is a pinch a penny store right down the street from me. I think they would install it as well. Leaning toward the Hayward unit, unless you guys recommend something else.
Thanks!

Leaning toward the Hayward unit, unless you guys recommend something else.
Fill out your signature with what your pool equipment, volume, etc is. If you have automation, you should look at matching the SWCG to the automation. If you do not have automation, and wish to install DIY, then Circupool is a good choice.

Reactions: HermanTX
Wanted to give you guys an update.
Yesterday I raised the FC to 12ppm. I replaced the display on the Aquacal heat pump (previous display did not work). Got the temperature up to 80 degrees and we jumped in! Also received the Warrior SE vac. Wow, I am blown away by this little guy. He is getting every corner of my pool, even the stairs! The pool is spotless now.
Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.