bccarval

Aug 3, 2021
New York
Hello all, our gunite pool with "medium gray" plaster was finished in late May/Early June, and while its usually less noticeable when the pool filter is running, there is a lot of discoloration to the plaster (see pics) The start up procedures were all run by the pool builder, who also has the maintenance contract for the pool, so I'm naively assuming they did/are doing all the necessary startup/maintenance whether brushing, balancing chemicals etc. I personally think the discoloration has gotten worse (my spouse disagrees) over the last two months, and I initially assumed that since its done by hand, that there would be some variation, but is this too much? In teh pic of the full pool the tree in the back is casting a shadow over most of the pool, but you can still see the general variation in color. Is something wrong? is this something that can be remedied by say more brushing or chemical rebalancing? Is this likely to get better or worse with time? Many thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4334.jpg
    IMG_4334.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4336.jpg
    IMG_4336.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 85
Welcome to TFP.

Yeah, that is pretty ugly. No changes in your water chemistry or brushing will fix it.

Your pool builder may offer to do an acid wash on it. That removes the top layer of plaster and may get rid of some motteling. It will also reduce the life of your plaster a bit.

Realize it is cosmetic and the function of your plaster is fine.

Thanks for your response! Was this a mistake by the pool builder/plasterer? Is this usually something people can hold the pool builder accountable for and have it rectified (I assume that means draining/replastering, I would rather not try the acid wash)? is it likely to get worse over time ? I guess if the plaster is functionally fine and with the filter/jets on it’s not as noticeable, I should just suck it up, but it’s annoying that it’s a brand new pool!

Last edited:
@ bccarval, I agree 1000%! Gunite pools are very expensive. And when you hire a company that only builds pools you expect them to know what they are doing and for it to be a professional job. I have a PB and they subcontracted out the plaster work. I had no control over who they hired,they said they did there own plasterwork but the crew that showed up on plaster day didnt work for my PB. I didnt get to look at the subs reviews or talk to that owner. My plaster turned out with mottling, trowel marks, streaking on the walls, and cracks from the top of the wall to the bottom. I started taking pictures while they were installing and haven’t stopped. Its only day 7 but the plaster already looks 10 years old. Its outrageous that the National Plaster council thinks that this kind of work is “within reason”. It lets plaster companies do whatever they want with no recourse. The worst part the consumer B224450F-8E20-4E54-A9D3-7992ACEC85AB.jpegis the only one who has NO say so in how the job is finished and they are the ones paying for it. If I hire someone to plaster my house I would expect the color and texture to be near perfect. Not left with trowel marks everywhere, streaks of color from down the wall, cracks all over the place, divits and waves. Pool plaster masons should be held to the same standard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.