Motor fried?

Noorm

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2015
San Jose, CA
After repl;acing digital timer, when breaker turned back on, the motor hummed for a few seconds, then made a pop sound and emitted some smoke. I suspect the the motor is fried. Now I'm awaiting n electrican to replace my breakers which apparently also got fried. A bit mystified as to what happened here. I am100% sure new new timer was wired the same as the old one, Anyway, I am pretty sure the motor is history. I'm wondering it I should try to get it repaired or just buy a new one. This one is about 9 mpnths old. (2 speed hayward 1.5 HP) Also concerned about pool having no filtration/ circulation for several days.

Mode 2 – (Pump High, Pump Low, Aux3) Circuit one and two are dedicated single pole outputs for a twospeed pump load. Circuits one and two will never be ON at the same time, consistent with a two-speed pump application.

It's important to set the timer to two speed mode so that you don't power the high and low speed windings at the same time. You probably fried the motor. You should have set the timer before you connected the pump wires to the terminals.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.