Motor cleanup

Soundy

May 3, 2015
Abbotsford, BC
My Century Centurion B852 started sounding like a Skrillex track thanks to a failing bearing, so I've got it open up replace the bearings, and found some surface rust on the armature and winding poles. Any tips to cleaning this up safely? Just a gentle dressing with super-fine sandpaper? Any suggestions for helping prevent future rust?

IMG_20200504_114955.jpgIMG_20200504_115000.jpg

Just a gentle dressing with super-fine sandpaper? Any suggestions for helping prevent future rust?
Ultra-fine sandpaper probably would've been my go-to iterm as well. But @JamesW might have another opinion altogether. :)

Not sure what would be best.

Maybe some rust remover product if you can keep it out of the wires.

Sandpaper or a wire brush might work.

However, metal dust generated might cause issues if it gets in the wrong place.

The amount of corrosion is excessive, indicating a harsh environment of excessive moisture and/or chemical vapor like chlorine or acid.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I would throw it up on the lathe and use sand paper. Anything chemically will find a hiding spot and come back later to haunt you. The dust with a good air compressor and nozzle will be history in short order. That bearing in the windings picture needs attention.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I would throw it up on the lathe and use sand paper. Anything chemically will find a hiding spot and come back later to haunt you. The dust with a good air compressor and nozzle will be history in short order. That bearing in the windings picture needs attention.
That's the shim, the bearing itself at that end is good.

It's the bearing at the pump end that's toast, and surprise surprise, the seal was on the way out too - pretty good chemical buildup dripping down the inside of it.

I’ve never cleaned the armature but I had an old pump that had some corrosion and surface rust on the shaft, and I happened to have some extra fine emery cloth on hand...it had the metal looking good as new and it remained that way for the rest of the motor’s service life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.