Most reliable, energy efficient pool pump?

trclac

Jul 24, 2009
Houston
When my pool was built ten years ago in Houston, the installer put in a Jandy single speed pump, which lasted five years. We replaced it with a Jandy variable speed, which died this weekend --- yep, five years after its install.

So it appears, Jandy pumps can handle year around pumping in Houston for five years and then they call it quits. That said, the variable speed pump was A LOT nicer on the wallet in terms of electric cost!

With that, what is typically considered the most reliable pump on the market, and is it also considered the most energy efficient? Our pool is in-ground, 17,000 gallons, chlorinated (i.e., not salt water).

Thanks in advance.

Many members use Pentair Intelliflo - 011018. It is the base VS pump. Normally can buy on Amazon for about $1000 with an extended warranty.

I do not have any data on that. Mine has been running for 3+ years. Others have had them longer.

Thank you. Any idea what the lifespan on the Intelliflo typically is?

Thanks.

I've had my Intelliflo VS pump since Apr 2013. Just replaced the Pentair IC40 SWG (installed at same time) two weeks ago. Got 5½ years out of the IC40 running it about 6 hours per day 9 months a year at 70% setting. I'm hoping I get another 5 years out of my pump!

The motor. When I went out there today, the pump was off. When I tried to turn it back on, it sounded like the sink disposal. Further, when I left it on, it did not pull any water at all into the pump/filter. I shut it off, turned it back on, and same. Repeated process several times, and same issue arose. At no time did it pump any water into the pump/filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.