moss rock waterfall with salt water pool? Need advice ASAP so can make a decision

Sep 26, 2012
We are renovating our pool. Thinking of adding a moss rock waterfall with jump rock to deep end. We have a salt water pool. We are ripping out flagstone due to deteriation of stone so obviously I am gun shy about real rock water fall. My neighbor has concrete molded rock and grotto on her pool and she did have to have it repainted after 5 years.... but at least its not crumbling.

Pool guy says if I see 2x / year should be fine but I am really worried...I know moss rock is sturdier than flagstone but still worried.

Looking for thoughts..and advice asap... thanks so much, KIM

My rock waterfall is made up of local boulders hauled in from around my area and I have a saltwater pool. My rock waterfall is in perfect condition, same as the day it was installed 7 years ago. There is some scale on the mortar lines but that’s going to happen no matter what. My flagstone coping is also in perfect condition, looks the same as the day it was installed. Texas pool builders use locally quarried stone and the limestone in your area tends to be lower quality and more easily eroded. But it’s not salt to blame, any pool water would do that. The moss stone should be fine with salt as long as the builder uses the correct mortar that’s designed for continuous submersion in water.

I know of only one pool builder in the world (@bdavis466 ) that knows how to properly construct perfectly realistic faux-stone concrete structures but he’s in California and unavailable ... I believe he was last seen on Rodeo drive desperately searching for a new feather scarf and raspberry beret among all of the pandemic-closed boutiques. He’s protesting Governor Newsom’s statewide ban on boutique shopping by the only way he knows how - he’s challenged the governor to a dance-battle ... sadly, the governor has ignored his challenge.

• Haha
Reactions: bdavis466
One edge of our pool is a wall made of quarried stones joined with mortar. We have a waterfall that washes down a portion of the wall. We've only had the pool for 3 years but have had no signs of major deterioration. In the hottest months we can see a little bit of mildew on the rocks at the edges of the waterfall, and there's a bit of mineral accumulation down at the tile coping. Nothing more dramatic than that.

One edge of our pool is a wall made of quarried stones joined with mortar. We have a waterfall that washes down a portion of the wall. We've only had the pool for 3 years but have had no signs of major deterioration. In the hottest months we can see a little bit of mildew on the rocks at the edges of the waterfall, and there's a bit of mineral accumulation down at the tile coping. Nothing more dramatic than that.
Do you seal the rock? thanks so much for your info! Really appreciate it

My rock waterfall is made up of local boulders hauled in from around my area and I have a saltwater pool. My rock waterfall is in perfect condition, same as the day it was installed 7 years ago. There is some scale on the mortar lines but that’s going to happen no matter what. My flagstone coping is also in perfect condition, looks the same as the day it was installed. Texas pool builders use locally quarried stone and the limestone in your area tends to be lower quality and more easily eroded. But it’s not salt to blame, any pool water would do that. The moss stone should be fine with salt as long as the builder uses the correct mortar that’s designed for continuous submersion in water.

I know of only one pool builder in the world (@bdavis466 ) that knows how to properly construct perfectly realistic faux-stone concrete structures but he’s in California and unavailable ... I believe he was last seen on Rodeo drive desperately searching for a new feather scarf and raspberry beret among all of the pandemic-closed boutiques. He’s protesting Governor Newsom’s statewide ban on boutique shopping by the only way he knows how - he’s challenged the governor to a dance-battle ... sadly, the governor has ignored his challenge.
Sounds like you have good quality stuff on your pool... OK.. well, I am feeling better about it... I either doing nothing and leave it with just scuppers, add simple jump rock for kids or do waterfall.... hmmmm decisions ... thanks so much

Sounds like you want to put in what I already have. I have a moss rock back drop on my pool with a water fall and raised area for jumping. Kids love jumping off the rocks into the deep end whether the falls are running or not. I retrofitted the pool with a SWG 15 years ago and I don't see any deterioration of the rocks at all.

I so go for it! and do the waterfall. I enjoy going out to my pool and turning the falls on for some Feng Shui relaxation.. The kids like cranking up the flow and playing in the water with the falls blasting on their heads!

Sounds like you want to put in what I already have. I have a moss rock back drop on my pool with a water fall and raised area for jumping. Kids love jumping off the rocks into the deep end whether the falls are running or not. I retrofitted the pool with a SWG 15 years ago and I don't see any deterioration of the rocks at all.

I so go for it! and do the waterfall. I enjoy going out to my pool and turning the falls on for some Feng Shui relaxation.. The kids like cranking up the flow and playing in the water with the falls blasting on their heads!
OK.. I'm in! Thanks so much! would you mind attaching a pic of your waterfall.. trying to figure out the best design for jumping etc. OH and do you seal the rocks? thanks again very much!

This is our current progress on a new pool build with moss rock. I’m unsure if I want to pressure wash the moss off yet and seal the rock. But we built a jumping platform!

this is right after they poured the decking and it still has powder from stamping. We are hoping the colors turn out well!
AD6E9FCB-6125-494E-9479-A4B2012570EA.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love the lit up Charlie Brown Christmas tree!
:laughblue:
Too funny.. I put that up for the winter. We do not cover the pool for winter so we can enjoy the view of the pool and lite cave at night is awesome. The wife has not let me take it down yet. I told her we at least need to get some false leaves so we are not looking at a dead Charlie Brown tree for the summer. :laughblue:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.