Mosquitoes in umbrella sleeves?

RS220

Gold Supporter
May 24, 2019
Fresno, CA
While taking pictures of my umbrella sleeves for another thread, I realized there's standing water in them and they can become mosquito nurseries. The easy answer is to make sure the caps are screwed in when not in use, but I am lazy and routinely move my umbrella from the east to the west of my ledge depending on the time of day and will probably not cap them each time. Also, even with the umbrella in, there's still a bit of wiggle room and still the water.

Quick search of the forums and the internet didn't reveal much. Is this not a problem after all? Does anyone else have any experience with this? It seems like plenty of water for mosquitoes to breed in, and from what I read the salt or chlorine won't keep them at bay, it's the circulation of the water that keeps our pools from becoming breeding grounds.

What do you all think? Am I worrying about nothing?

I don't think I'd worry too much about mosquitoes from those. I suppose you could purposely leave one open with water and check every day for mosquito larva. I doubt I would cap them every time I was not using them. Maybe put a small rug over them when not in use if you really think it is an issue.

While taking pictures of my umbrella sleeves for another thread, I realized there's standing water in them and they can become mosquito nurseries. The easy answer is to make sure the caps are screwed in when not in use, but I am lazy and routinely move my umbrella from the east to the west of my ledge depending on the time of day and will probably not cap them each time. Also, even with the umbrella in, there's still a bit of wiggle room and still the water.

Quick search of the forums and the internet didn't reveal much. Is this not a problem after all? Does anyone else have any experience with this? It seems like plenty of water for mosquitoes to breed in, and from what I read the salt or chlorine won't keep them at bay, it's the circulation of the water that keeps our pools from becoming breeding grounds.

What do you all think? Am I worrying about nothing?
If you see larvae, just stuff the garden hose down the hole and flush it out. The water will evaporate and they'll fry on the hot cement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.