Morton Pool Salt Problem

Folks, just wanted to double check that this is the right stuff... I just didn't expect it to be this coarse.
e9bbe79d28b150501a0d336255442414.jpg

34f94bcde0e917f4132d0966e26ef590.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify "solar salt" gets it name because it is salt that is derived from drying sea water in the sun. There are large pools of sea brine that are flooded over and over, they just let it dry in the sun between flooding. When sufficient layer of salt is built up, it is scraped up bagged as solar salt. Because of the process used it can and sometimes does contain some impurities. Rock salt on the other hand is mined and typically has even more pebbles, sand and other debris mixed in. So solar salt, although it still may have some impurities is highly prefered for both pool and water softener.

BTW: the only difference between pool salt and regular water softener or solar salt is how fine it is, and how long it will take to dissolve. It all works the same. Just avoid any that has "anti-caking" or other additives.

Folks, just wanted to double check that this is the right stuff... I just didn't expect it to be this coarse.

Yep, that'll work just fine, as long as it says 99.9 % pure salt. It just takes a bit longer to dissolve.

I think most people on this site suggest that the strips are NOT generally accurate. I'm referring to the experts on here. I'm not one of them LOL. My salt strips are absolutely terrible.

From Jason Lion:

Re: Salt Test Strip Question
The Taylor drop test and the AquaChek salt test strips have almost the same precision, but the Taylor test is more difficult to perform. The main disadvantage of the test strips is that they can go bad if they get damp, and it isn't always possible to tell that this has happened. The Taylor test does not have that problem. The meters used in SWGs are far less precise.

On the other hand, it really doesn't matter what the salt level really is, as long as the SWG is happy with it. Way too many people spend lots of effort trying to figure out what their salt level "actually is", which really doesn't matter. The one time it is nice to have an independent measurement of the salt level is when you suspect that the SWG is broken and indicating low salt when the salt is actually high.

;)

- - - Updated - - -

e9bbe79d28b150501a0d336255442414.jpg

34f94bcde0e917f4132d0966e26ef590.jpg

I tried that stuff one time and didn't like how long it took to dissolve. I guess I'm too impatient. :D ;)

I use solar salt and have had a significant problem with pebbles with the Morton Solar salt. I've been tempted to save all the pebbles to show them. Feels like there is enough in the 10 bags I put in at the beginning of the summer to fill a full bag. The issue is significant smaller with Diamond brand.

I put the salt in the skimmer (slowly) now so that the pebbles don't get to the liner.

Saturn 94 , I would suggest a search " Accuracy of Aquachek test strips". Many, many, threads on this forum how NOT accurate they are. I wish the experts would chime in now to confirm. Perhaps you are only referring to the Salt Test Strips ?

Saturn 94 , I would suggest a search " Accuracy of Aquachek test strips". Many, many, threads on this forum how NOT accurate they are. I wish the experts would chime in now to confirm. Perhaps you are only referring to the Salt Test Strips ?

I can say the Aquacheck strips for regular tests are not great and the longer I used them the worse they performed. The air strips were good enough because the results did not have to be as precise.

Yes, only the salt test strips. I would not use any of the other strips. As I quoted, Jason has said the salt test strips are reasonably accurate. Ben Powell has said as much as well. Both seem well respected for their pool knowledge. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interesting, my Aquachek salt test strips were not even close. Hmmm....

Once in a great while I'll get a strip that doesn't seem right, so I'll repeat the test. So far I've not had any issues using the salt test strips (been using them a few years now). They're usually within 200ppm of what my SWCG says when the cell is working normally (a dying/dead cell can give a false low reading).

I should note I always keep my test kits, including the salt strips, in a cool, dry place inside house (always climate controlled). I understand moisture (high humidity?) can cause the salt strips to go bad. I also check the date on the bottle to make sure the salt strips haven't expired.

It would be interesting to get the Taylor drop test salt kit and compare it to the salt strips, but I'm too cheap and the salt strips have served me well. :D Perhaps someone who has both might compare the two?

I've been using Acua Salt sinse day one, which was in August 2008. I've never liked the idea of pouring anything into my pool in a solid fourm. So unless it's something that goes in the skimmer, it goes into my 5 gallon bucket, gets dissolved and then I broadcast it into the pool. Salt especially. In all these years I have never seen anything other than salt in the bags

Regarding test strips, none are very accurate. Salt seems to be around + or- 200 ppm, not great but generally good enough. The other test strip I use is Borates, also not very accurate but good enough.

Turn the pump on, SWG off, and if you have kids, let them loose in the pool and the salt will dissolve in no time.

I just pour into the pool as I walk around it. Usually mostly dissolved by the time I make a lap.

Or I let the kids play with it. Wonder what the parents thought when I started dumping bags on their kids during a birthday party once :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.