More about heating an intex pool

ioinva

Jun 3, 2020
VA
I am still debating whether I do have a viable solution to heating my pool. A previous thread explored a gas heater near the house, with water pipes running to the pool, about 50' away. My concern is that once the weather turns colder, the ground will cool and my water will lose whatever heat it had as it runs back to the pool (underground). Yes, I can insulate the pipes -- maybe. I really don't want to bring a gas line to the pool, across the width of the yard.

So in this thread, I'm looking at an electric solution, close to the pool, hoping to extend the season a bit when the weather dips in the 60Fs. I'm looking at:

1. EcoSmart pool heater (few reviews, unclear if it can live outdoors -- many users seem to have this indoor, ~$1000)
2. Coates 11kW electric pool/spa heater (There are about 73 vendors selling counterfeit versions of this heater and I don;t trust any one of them. But if it works, I might be able to go find one from the manufacturer itself). I can find it anywhere between $300 - $1500... so...
3. Raypack heat pump: (back to the heat pump solution, not sure how it would do with the lower temperatures).

Any feedback on these options? Others that may be more suitable?

Aside from cost of operation, I am also concerned about bringing a 220V power conduit close to the pool. Yes, CGF outlets and the pool electrical isolation -- which I'm not sure how to do with a soft-sided pool. Any pointers / how-to links on how to best wire all that in a safe way?

Last year we had a 20' solar panel on the grass, running on a separate pump (original intex cartridge pump/filter with no filter). On sunny days, it did a terrific job. But we have tall trees and big temp variations in the summer (frequent storms) and the solar option made the pool more comfortable but did not extend the season.

Last edited:
What’s your objection to running a gas line?

Aside from cost of operation, I am also concerned about bringing a 220V power conduit close to the pool. Yes, CGF outlets and the pool electrical isolation -- which I'm not sure how to do with a soft-sided pool. Any pointers / how-to links on how to best wire all that in a safe way?
This is a good thing you’re thinking about. Intex pools are generally exempt from bonding when used with Intex pool equipment, but if used with permanent pool equipment they are required to be bonded as a permanent pool. I don’t know how that works with all the coated metal support poles all electrically isolated from each other, but at a minimum it would need the bonding wire buried around it, a water bond, and all equipment bonded. I’d check with your local electrical inspector, they are the ones who will sign off on any electrical permits.

Whatever you do avoid any resistive heaters, you won’t like the electric bill.

Also if you run lines and are worried about heat loss then just add valves to allow the heater and long lines to be bypassed. When not using the heater simply bypass it to avoid the heat loss in the lines. Methinks the heat loss would be minimal during the short periods you’d run the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.