Month 1 with bot

Jun 8, 2015
Rocklin Ca
I’ve had the Active 30i with Wi Fi little over a month now. Pretty impressed with the performance. After running it about 4 times for 2 hour run times the dirt that came out of the filters was pretty impressive. The pool is looking good does look cleaner. The bot climbs the walls travels usually left along the tile for about 3 feet then sinks back down and goes about its business. I have seen up on the steps a couple times so I’m guessing I miss about 90% of its actions. One thing I really like is the ease of cleaning the filter elements especially once I realized the popped out of the frame, the leaf basket just lifts right out very easy to clean. The active 30i comes with the caddy That is one thing I really wanted and it is convenient, I did buy the cover to protect it from the sun fit’s great.

Like anything I think there’s a few negatives IMO. 1: The weight of it when you lift it out of the pool is quite a bit until all the water drains out (if I recall the dry weight is 16lbs) I can lift it out no problem just something to think about. 2: To retrieve the bot to remove it you pull it buy the cord what I noticed it can tip up so the body of the bot drags on the pool bottom so it can get scratched up pretty easily think a couple bumpers on the body would be a god to add to the design. I found a very slow retrieve works best. 3: The WiFi not sure if it’s worth money It’s nice to have the controls on your smart device/phone. As for maneuvering it kind of works at best, fun for about 5 minutes. 4: They say the bot maps your pool and determine the best method to clean it……I think it just does just random patterns I would question the mapping thing.

After all that has been said I think the bot is going to be much better than the old cleaner and energy cost has to be less. I can’t comment on the reliability I’ve only had it a month but it seems built well and thought out well. You will still have to brush the pool it’s not a pool boy. I think this is the future of pool cleaners and the old style will get phased out in time. If you considering getting a bot I hope this helps and if you decide to buy best advice Call “Marina, Pool, Spa and Patio” the website has great information on choosing a bot and no one will beat their price.

Thanks for your thoughts. If you pull it out of the water slowly, you can let it drain some while doing so, and as long as it doesn’t drop any debris, it will be a bit lighter to remove. Mine was night and day versus our old pressure side cleaner.

Reactions: SacDave
The winds were really bad on Wednesday the pool was full of leaves Now the real test for the Bot Wow the intake was packed with leaves nothing would go to the baskets. I pulled the bot out cleaned it put it back in the pool noticed after 5 minutes it was picking nothing pulled it out again intake completely packed no even a handful of leaves in the baskets. Needles to say was mad I just spent $1000 on the bot nothing I read said anything about the poor design flaw. On the intake there is a cloth Sock (they call it a non return flapper) that everything flows through so nothing can go back out the intake. I removed the sock put it back in the pool and the basket filled all the way up with leaves. So i guess when leaves I'll just have to remove the flapper

You are correct. It weighs a ton pulling it out until it drains, the drive it by phone feature isn’t worth 5 cents let alone $50, the wall climbing/scrubbing feature is worthless, it just covers the same areas over and over missing most of the waterline. It doesn’t map anything, it’s all random. It does do a good job vacuuming the bottom of the pool though.

Reactions: SacDave
I had 4 solid summer seasons in Chicago with my S300 and when the motor blew (I left it in the pool 24/7 for the last 2 years) I bought an S200 to replace it. It was pretty clear that more features didn't result in better cleaning. I'ms till using my caddy and the original power supply and now have a spare should I need it.

Sorry bot owners, not seeing anything here that would steer me away from my suction-side vac (I expect Jim is shaking his head!). I would love a gizmo that could clean my tile and sides and brush the surface, absolutely. Definitely envious of that. But I've never liked the idea of the cord, the hauling out, or the constant collector emptying. I especially like my vac in off-season, because I don't have to think about it. It lives in the pool and is meant to and requires absolutely zero attention. I have a lot of landscaping, but between the plant selection and the nature of a suction-side, I have no leaf issues whatsoever, and I only have to clean my filter once a year (which I would have to do anyway, vac or no). I do have to clean the pump basket, but that is a pretty easy task compared to hauling out a soggy bot. The vac run is part of the circulation run for my pool, so I don't consider the cost of running the vac an issue, and considering I have PV solar it'd be a non-issue anyway. Just me. I know tons of you here love your bots. There must be something to 'em.

If I ever end up with one, it'll be because they finally built my dream 'bot. One that is cordless, can run for several hours on a charge, can crawl itself out of a pool and find its parking/charging garage behind some bush somewhere. Throw in some sort of self cleaning/purging while yer at it. Now that's a bot! (I'm only half joking because I believe the tech exists, just maybe not the demand for a $3K pool cleaner!)

Anyway, Dave, thanks for the report. I hope you work out the kinks and it ends up having good value.

Reactions: jtpipkin
Sorry bot owners, not seeing anything here that would steer me away from my suction-side vac (I expect Jim is shaking his head!). I would love a gizmo that could clean my tile and sides and brush the surface, absolutely. Definitely envious of that. But I've never liked the idea of the cord, the hauling out, or the constant collector emptying. I especially like my vac in off-season, because I don't have to think about it. It lives in the pool and is meant to and requires absolutely zero attention. I have a lot of landscaping, but between the plant selection and the nature of a suction-side, I have no leaf issues whatsoever, and I only have to clean my filter once a year (which I would have to do anyway, vac or no). I do have to clean the pump basket, but that is a pretty easy task compared to hauling out a soggy bot. The vac run is part of the circulation run for my pool, so I don't consider the cost of running the vac an issue, and considering I have PV solar it'd be a non-issue anyway. Just me. I know tons of you here love your bots. There must be something to 'em.

If I ever end up with one, it'll be because they finally built my dream 'bot. One that is cordless, can run for several hours on a charge, can crawl itself out of a pool and find its parking/charging garage behind some bush somewhere. Throw in some sort of self cleaning/purging while yer at it. Now that's a bot! (I'm only half joking because I believe the tech exists, just maybe not the demand for a $3K pool cleaner!)

Anyway, Dave, thanks for the report. I hope you work out the kinks and it ends up having good value.
I am all in with @Dirk My basic Polaris 280 works well, easy to maintain, low tech by today's standards. Does what is supposed to do and I can easily see when I need to change out the catch bag on it.
I like the specifications given for the "ultimate" robot cleaner. The only additional specification would be a sensor in the pool to tell it when to come out of its garage/charging stand as the wind just dumped a bunch of debris in the pool.

Reactions: jtpipkin and Dirk
By far the best attribute in my mind is the ability to pickup very fine debris. Though it does all else well for me too. My PSC would just scatter it or blow it through the bag, not sure which.

I switched from pressure- to suction-vac and didn't look back. Got rid of the booster, the cleaning was the same, and I eliminated the bag-cleaning and that stupid freakin' tail, which regularly trashed anybody nearby, my garden, my furniture and my windows (not just with spray, but with a layer of calcium that took a day of hard labor and machines to grind off). Suction, baby!

To somewhat justify this hijack, I'm not sure I'd eliminate the suction vac if I ever went bot. Maybe I'd throw in the bot once a week, for the brushing and tile cleaning, but let the suction-vac do it's thing the other six days, to keep the leaves in check and reduce the daily maintenance chore of a bot. I know, I know, it's crazy talk. But theoretically, since both systems have their drawbacks, maybe the best of both could be a solution for some of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoreswim
Maybe it could make you a drink when it's done!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't argue that a few people have tried a robot and did not like it.. But... My pull it out of the air guess would be 1% to 99%... My other "guess" would be that 99% of people that love there suction, or pressure side cleaners, have never even used a robot.

I could use my 1960's Black Rotary-Dial phone if I wanted, but ever since I used my first cell phone, it does not get much uses.. Especially when I'm in the car... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: revitup
I can't argue that a few people have tried a robot and did not like it.. But... My pull it out of the air guess would be 1% to 99%... My other "guess" would be that 99% of people that love there suction, or pressure side cleaners, have never even used a robot.

I could use my 1960's Black Rotary-Dial phone if I wanted, but ever since I used my first cell phone, it does not get much uses.. Especially when I'm in the car... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

And here I went out of my way to install our old 1934 WE wall phone from my grandparent's old house in Brooklyn. My kids still have no idea how to use the rotary dial, nor do they care. I love the sound and the nostalgia of actually being able to use the phone (score 1 for still having a landline!).

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.