Modifying the app

Pola0502ds

Aug 20, 2019
Youngstown Ohio
How do you modify the pool math app, for instance, i have a mineral system on my pool so i keep my FC between .5 and 1. Not the 3.0 to 7.0 the app recommends. When i enter my readings for the week say at .8, its telling me im low and recommending the wrong actions be taken. How do i fix this?

Welcome to TFP!

The presence of a metal algaecide system in a pool (yes, that's all a mineral system is) does not change the chlorine requirements of a pool. We follow the FC/CYA Levels 100% of the time and the app is no different. Not to mention keeping FC that low can be unsanitary depending on the CYA content of water, something the manufacturers of these systems do not take in to account.

So the app is correct: 0.5-1 ppm FC is too low and it is giving you the proper actions to take with your water.

So whats the purpose of having a mineral system then if you keep chlorine at standard levels? At that point you might as well ditch the mineral systems since the chlorine is enough?

That’s a great question? It’s one TFP in general has answered by ditching the mineral system. We avoid risks of green hair and stains to our surface by simply following the FC/CYA ratio and we avoid the extra cost/risks of a mineral system. PoolMath is simply an extension of our beliefs and we’ve never even built in a way to permanently lower our standards. To answer your question directly, you can’t alter those warnings, as your FC is too low.

Reactions: Donldson
So whats the purpose of having a mineral system then if you keep chlorine at standard levels?
I can't say that we have ever suggest using metal algaecides. Especially since I can say, as a former Frog user, that my pool water is far more pleasant following TFPC and the FC/CYA Levels than it ever was trying to keep the FC under 1 ppm. It seems silly in retrospect that I paid a premium to use a system that kept my water quality worse than a chlorine only one. It's a shame we so easily buy in to the "more chlorine is bad" marketing, but with all the awfully mismanaged chlorine pools out there it's easy to convince us that chlorine is the problem rather than inappropriate use of it.

As Lee said, the question was answered: the app is not giving you incorrect recommendations. Raising your FC to the recommended levels is the fix. Ditching the metal system is optional but encouraged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.