Mixed advice from pool store

OOL USER

Jul 2, 2019
Dallas
While I love my local pool store and their staff.... we have gotten mixed advice. We were unsure of what order to put chemicals in after the directions blew away from a storm. Went back and got new instructions but then found the old ones in the yard. They aren’t clear. Both directions are so far off from each other now I am here hoping for sage advice.
Here’s where we are (this is my first ever post so forgive me if this is not the proper way).
The latest reading attached in pics.

We added 25 lbs of calcium (hardness plus)

The instructions said to run for three days on one sheet, on the other is said to wait 4 hrs, then add CYA (instant liquid Conditioner)

Do we wait 3 days or 4 hrs?

Next instructions after adding CYA:

Clean filter
Add 1qt 15fl oz phosfree to skimmer and run for 48 hrs

Currently the water is super clean and clear but it’s hot and I’m sure we need to get this fixed ASAP.

Do we nee to add shock? I put in 5 bags of salt yesterday. Salt is now at 3400 ppm. The attached reading was done before the salt was added.

Attachments

• D726C579-657A-4D25-B16A-320D48ECA0E9.jpeg
    D726C579-657A-4D25-B16A-320D48ECA0E9.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 15
Hiya OOL User. We try to keep the P out too!

I'm gonna hit you straight with a picture first.

Although your question seems benign, pool store and our approach are not the same. Ours is about education of the pool owner to test and care for their own pool, effectively and inexpensively. It's about empowering the pool owner to be confident stewards of their pools.

I'll follow-up with a little more advice but wanted to get the above out for you to have a think on.

Reactions: OOL USER
Thank you, that is EXACTLY why I am here. I saw this site a while back when we were having issues with a valve. Still have that issue but I’ll post that in the appropriate area. I found this site to be so informative I had to come back. Glad to be here.

Reactions: bmoreswim
My next comments are accurate but to get the full benefit of them, you would need to fully look at our approach.

You can add calcium and CYA (instant conditioner) back to back. So long as the calcium is dissolved, there is no need to continue running the pump, nor for instant conditioner.

We take no interest in phosphate levels. Do not be concerned with them or add any phos-free, ever. It's never needed. A properly maintained pool is not a risk regardless of phosphate levels.

You may want to read some links such as the following:

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels
Test Kits Compared

My signature has a link to the test kit I recommend.

Reactions: OOL USER
Understand you are driving blind. You must be able to test your own pool water accurately and repeatably using a proper test kit. Test Kits Compared
Adding products to your pool without knowing your water chemistry may require you to drain water for correction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.