Minor metal stains....

zapados

Aug 13, 2016
Merrimack, NH
Last year I was battling some stains and finally got around to jumping in with a sock filled with crushed vitamin C tablets, and swishing that around the stain seemed to immediately remove some of it. It's a tough process because the vitamin C tablets don't last long in the water...maybe I need to not crush them up? It's like a dust that just goes everywhere quick.

Anyways, the stains aren't too bad, they are localized to a certain area, and the ladder seems to turn a nice yellow as well.

I'm using town fill water which I would not expect to have many/any metal contents, right? So not sure where it's coming from.

Anyways...3 questions.

1. As I open this year (late due to a different mechanical issue which is now resolved), should I do a standard opening, and THEN go after the metal stains, assuming they are still there?
2. If I do an expensive AA treatment, which will move the metal from the stain into the water, how do I then remove the metal from the water?
3. If AA is recommended, where's the best place to buy it, considering price?

Thanks for any tips!

I've done a lot of reading on this here, but the "official" links are very old: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Last edited:
"Z",
1 - Yes, open like normal and ensure the water is 100% algae-free before attempting any metals or stain treatments.
2 - Then you have to exchange the water for fresh; hopefully from a source with no iron. Some city supplies do have iron which can increase over time.
3 - Just about anywhere online (Amazon, etc).

If the staining isn't too bad, just localized treatments could suffice. If it's the entire pool and you just want to do it at once, the AA is the wyer to go, but then you have the iron in the water to consider (dump or sequestrant). Since AAs require lowering the FC level, it's usually best to do an AA when the water temp is still chilly to help reduce the likelihood of organics trying to grow in to an algae bloom.

Reactions: zapados
Found the 2020 water quality report:

1621798453808.png

1621798476827.png

Can anyone make heads or tails of this? Does this mean my staining is likely from this water source?

Is 1.01 ppm iron a lot, enough to be my source of issue?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.