Minimum Chlorine level with Proteam Supreme Plus

I live in South Florida, Fort Lauderdale. Summer is here with temps in the upper 80s an 90s now. I have 40 to 50 ppm CYA, 50 ppm Proteam Supreme Plus, water is so sparkly, soft an crystal clear. PH runs 7.6 - 7.8 most usually, alkalinity around 80 - 90, I keep my chlorine between 7 an 10, although with the sun over head an water above 90 I have been increasing to 12 ppm. It's added to pool around 6 at night an by the same time next day its been depleted to about 4 or 5 depending on cloud cover. What would be my minimum chlorine level with my CYA an borate levels? I've been thinking around 3 or 3.5. However, I would not want to risk algae. I've never seen its ugly head an Its one visitor that will never be welcome here. Thanks for your expertise.

Last edited:
Nothing affects the need to follow the FC/CYA Levels.

I can't imagine why you would want to either: reduced FC levels create worse water, not better. With less FC in the water to oxidize bather waste and its byproducts you end up with longer lasting CC, a common cause of stinging eyes and "chlorine smell".

If you are losing 8 ppm of chlorine in 24 hours you might be harboring a bit of a problem. Normal daily FC loss should be 4 ppm or less...

I test the water at least twice a day, never any chlorine loss at night greater than 1 ppm. The sun is at its highest point in the sky an the pool is in full sun early morning until 330 in the afternoon. I was contributing the chlorine loss to the sun, heat an water temperature. Unless my CYA is not at the mark Ive tested it to be. We have had large amounts of rain last several weeks, where Ive had to drain 3 to 5 inches at times. It's not that I want to keep lower levels, its just that low by the time I can add chlorine again when I get home from office. I add enough to reach 12 ppm nightly.

Have you tried just raising your FC to 8?
Have you tried just raising your FC to 8?
Yes, my normal range was usually between 7 - 9. Has been for several weeks, perfectly clear, no sign of any trouble whatsoever. Today the temp got up to 95 an water temp was 92 an free chlorine was down to 3.5 when I got home at 6. Free chlorine was 12 at 6 last night an 11 this morning at 6 am an 3.5 when I tested at 630 this evening. Perhaps my CYA is no longer in the 40 to 50 range. I haven't been able to test as I have not received my new CYA reagant yet.

I would agree that your CYA may be too low. Get your reagent in and give it a test. You are burning up too much chlorine in the daytime but your nightime loss is just fine. In Fort Lauderdale, I think you should keep CYA at 60 and FC around 5-7 ppm or so and expect a 24 hour loss of about 3 ppm.......maybe four if it's an active pool.

I would agree that your CYA may be too low. Get your reagent in and give it a test. You are burning up too much chlorine in the daytime but your nightime loss is just fine. In Fort Lauderdale, I think you should keep CYA at 60 and FC around 5-7 ppm or so and expect a 24 hour loss of about 3 ppm.......maybe four if it's an active pool.
Thank you, I suspect the same. I'm willing to bet it's closer to 30 now with multiple drains with high water from the torrential down pours we've had.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.