Minimax NT E04 Error - solved, gas manifold?

Aug 22, 2016
Martinez
TL;DR: is it possible that my E04 code is being caused by the gas manifold simply falling out of place causing the burners not to ignite? So far, propping up the manifold (where it normally falls open because its screw hole is rusted) seems to be all that's needed to fix* my annoying E04 code.

My heater started making a TON of noise as it ran so I finally broke down and decided to open it up and try to salvage it. Predictably everything rustable and corrode-able had done so, especially the fan that was causing the vibration and the noise. (Unpredictably, it did not leak, not at all!) I replaced the fan and all of the baffles covering the heat exchanger, scraped out as much rust as possible, and re-sealed everything I could considering the substantial amount of rust still remaining (this was more or less a salvage job, after all). I fired it up and ran beautifully - honestly better than I was expecting. But for some reason, and this had never happened before, I started getting E04 error codes. I checked the air flow sensor, capacitor, vacuum tube, everything appeared fine enough. Still, E04 codes. Until yesterday. Yesterday I opened up the service panels to visually inspect and be sure everything was firing up properly. The only adjustment I made was to prop up the gas manifold** so it was sitting against the burner tray like it was supposed to. (The hole it was screwed into was rusted and it had a tendency to fall over due to vibration.) Fired it up and it ran all evening. This morning, E04. Started it up twice, E04. Opened it up. Manifold had fallen over. Propped it back up. No E04.

Obviously the manifold serves a purpose, but I'm surprised (and cautiously delighted) that it's the culprit. Seems like with it down the burners have trouble igniting due to too much air flow and that triggers an E04. Is this issue solved for me? I honestly don't know that much about these heaters to say, except that I'm getting results at this time.

* Obviously not the only thing that causes E04 codes. Just wondering if that's the actual culprit in my situation.
**Part #34 on the 2nd page of this parts list Pentair NT 400 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com).

If you have to "prop" the manifold up, you really need to replace the heater. If the manifold is no longer being held in the correct place securely, it is a safety issue.

Other than one small screw hole being rusted a little bit, the rest of the heater is in fairly decent shape all things considered. The exchangers don't leak. The flue collector, while plenty rusty on the inside, has been repaired and is fully intact. The motor runs fine, the burners all ignite properly. It seems like the proper remedy would be fastening the manifold with a slightly larger screw and some locktite so it doesn't vibrate off again and continue using the heater. Seems like it'd be a huge waste to ditch an entire heater over one small screw. Right? Am I missing something? I don't want to create a dangerous condition. It was only propped up at the time because, well, I didn't have a larger self-tapping screw on me. Now that it's in there everything seems fine. Plus, wasn't the heater responding appropriately to the malfunction by shutting off? I don't want to run it if I'm doing something dangerous, but all that's changed is the size of the self-tapping screw.

It is, and has been reattached. And it still seems to be running like normal. I've only tested for a few hours here and there since its summer and not really necessary. I guess I was just surprised (1) that it was something that simple and (2) that it gave an E04 error which, if I've read correctly, refers to the blower motor, fan, vacuum tube, and airflow sensor. Seems like if the burner fails to ignite because of the manifold being out of place, that would return E05. I even took a picture of the code - it's definitely E04.

I'm just glad I didn't go and buy a new air flow switch, fan motor capacitor, or worse yet a new fan motor.

Anyways. Moral of the story: if you have a Minimax NT and it keeps shutting off even though everything appears okay, check the manifold cover too. If it's not in place, it may cause the burners not to ignite. The fix: one slightly larger self tapping screw.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.