Mini Max heater won't ignite

Jan 8, 2017
Atascadero/ca
Update: I have a Pentair MiniMax nt 400 STD

It was running just fine last fall and literally stopped heating while it was on.

I have completed the following troubleshooting steps: 1)cleaned the pool filter and the unit, checked all wires 2) replaced the ignitor and flame sensor ( after calling Pentair and going through their troubleshooting) 3) tested the volts on the ignition wires. The volts range from 20-50v. Update. 4) I replaced the ignition control module. Now I have flame but it goes out after a minute or so. It relights every time but won’t stay lit and is giving the E05. I was so happy when the flame came on........:mad:

Last edited:
E04 would be a fan/blower error code. E05 would be an ignition/flame failure.

Can you see the ignitor glowing? Is the blower motor running and pushing a lot of air out?

I went ahead and replaced the Ignition Control Module. It finally fired up and ran for a minute or so but then goes out. Now it is giving an E05. The fan is blowing strong. I also replaced the air module attachment on the side of the fan.

Is it normal for a brand new flame sensor to be bad? I just replaced it when I put in the new igniter and ignition control module.

Sorry I missed that you replaced it as well. E05 is still a flame sensing issue. Are the burner tubes clean? Is there any obstruction of the heat exchanger meaning that it is clogged with soot. Is this a natural or propane gas unit? If you have a good gas supply, the burners tubes are clean, and all wiring is in good shape, then it is possible that you have a bad control board. It could also be a bad safety that it dropping out for some reason. You could try bypassing them and see what happens but don't leave them bypassed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.