Might have black algae?

RobertP73

In The Industry
May 23, 2024
Michigan
Hey everyone, found this forum trying to solve my problem with my pool so first time posting. I’m not sure if this is black algae or what but I cannot get it off by scrubbing. I’ve shocked the pool several times trying to break it up and doesn’t help. This all started when my board went out on my aquarite 900. By the time I figured out the board went & needed to be replaced the pool was full of algae. Got it cleaned up and this started forming. I’ve even dove down in and scrubbed with a hand brush and can’t get them. From outside of the water they look blackish brown. From in the water with goggles they are black & yellowish. Pool supply company isn’t much help here just it might be, you can try this & that. I’ve attached some pics…. just hoping someone has dealt with this before and can point me in the right direction. Thank youIMG_3408.jpegIMG_3409.jpegIMG_3410.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!
What type of pool surface is this? Very hard for black algae to occur on vinyl liners or fiberglass.
Can you post a full set of pool water chemistry test results from your own test kit?
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Welcome to the forum!
What type of pool surface is this? Very hard for black algae to occur on vinyl liners or fiberglass.
Can you post a full set of pool water chemistry test results from your own test kit?
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
It’s a liner pool. I will update with test results shortly when I get home & will definitely read through that as well!

Welcome to TFP!

This appeared quickly after clearing an algae bloom, it wasn't there before? Have you been using any algaecides?
It did and keeps getting worse. Algae even came back once after about 2 weeks but hasn’t in 3 weeks or so. These spots just keep spreading. If I catch new ones forming on the walls or shallow end I get em right away. It’s not easy as co I have to scrub off about 15 min per spot but once they get to what it is in the deep end it’s impossible. Even bent my pole scrubbing so hard🤦‍♂️

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100/Pro or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

I will pick one up first thing in the morning & let you know what it says. Aquarite is blinking check salt and inspect cell now. I checked the cell and turned the percentage up for now. Will test salt levels tomorrow as well. I took the cell off and everything looks clean in there and I just cleaned it with acid when this algae problem started. Ughhh what a headache

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The test kits above are very rarely available at retail stores. The best value is by going to TFTestkits.net and ordering a kit.