Maggie263

Apr 14, 2021
Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, all! I have done so much better this summer following this method. However, I started a new job, kids were at camp and it has been 100 + degrees this last week. So, as you can imagine, the pool has been ignored some and now needs slammed. The water is see thru, but green. Here are my lovely levels.

FC 0
CC 0
CYA 20
PH 8.2 (It is always high, have come to the conclusion that our water has high higher alkalinity. It's well water.
So according to the SLAM process I need to lower PH before I begin. I added some PH down this morning and will be testing soon. However, my thought now is do I go ahead and start chlorination or do I vaccuum out some first? The water has some debris but not awful, other then the algae. Looks like my slam should be 10 with that cya level.

You'll want to confirm the pH is close to 7.2 first. In the future, try to use muriatic acid instead of dry acid. You can add it and test the pH in about 30 minutes with good circulation. At the same time right now, go ahead and add about 10 - 20 ppm worth of stabilizer via the sock method. You definitely need a CYA of 30 - 40. Then increase the FC to 12 and maintain it with liquid chlorine. If you find tomorrow the CYA is closer to 40, then increase the FC to 16. Then follow all the steps on the SLAM Process.

You'll want to confirm the pH is close to 7.2 first. In the future, try to use muriatic acid instead of dry acid. You can add it and test the pH in about 30 minutes with good circulation. At the same time right now, go ahead and add about 10 - 20 ppm worth of stabilizer via the sock method. You definitely need a CYA of 30 - 40. Then increase the FC to 12 and maintain it with liquid chlorine. If you find tomorrow the CYA is closer to 40, then increase the FC to 16. Then follow all the steps on the SLAM Process.
Okay, thanks.

Please give me some advice.
We are all so busy now that school has started. Pool is getting ignored. 🥺 I have algae. I had it all vacuumed out, slammed it and was a-okay, now not so much. I have a hard time keeping chlorine at a good level. I'd like to keep it at 10 all the time. I've added stabilizer when cya needs it. I hate to let it get real bad as it'll just be more work and more bleach. I don't know how to keep up with it now. If I add bleach the 100+ degrees will just eat it. Any thoughts? I have toyed with closing it over labor day weekend d as I'll have more time. Don't think water will be cool enough though.

Sounds like you may have "shocked" the pool, but not actually performed the SLAM Process. Once a true SLAM is completed (passing all criteria) algae is gone and the water only needs a little chlorine each day or evening. But at this point, you'll need to initiate a SLAM Process. Just no way around it. :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.