Metals????

No. You are going to go through draining and filling and backwashing that will dilute your levels.

Is your fill water free of metals?

Are you on well water? The iron in the water may turn brown when you start the baqua-conversion, so it may make it difficult to tell when the conversion is complete. I'm going to ask someone with bacqua experience to give an opinion.
@Leebo

Looking at these test results I’m going to guess you started the year on the Baquacil line and are converting mid-season. I say this as it appears your Sanitizer (Biguanide) levels are rather high. This means you’re going to have an uphill battle in converting and you’ll use a fair amount of chlorine. Assuming this (I’ve always hated Baqua tests so I maybe wrong here) plus knowing there’s likely levels of metal in your water, I wonder if it’s more beneficial to drain the pool and refill with fresh water. You can use this opportunity to “truck in” some water that’s going to be free of metals to completely avoid the issue. Doing this also means you’ll likely be swimming in a few days verses the extended process you’ll be facing during the conversion.

Looking at these test results I’m going to guess you started the year on the Baquacil line and are converting mid-season. I say this as it appears your Sanitizer (Biguanide) levels are rather high. This means you’re going to have an uphill battle in converting and you’ll use a fair amount of chlorine. Assuming this (I’ve always hated Baqua tests so I maybe wrong here) plus knowing there’s likely levels of metal in your water, I wonder if it’s more beneficial to drain the pool and refill with fresh water. You can use this opportunity to “truck in” some water that’s going to be free of metals to completely avoid the issue. Doing this also means you’ll likely be swimming in a few days verses the extended process you’ll be facing during the conversion.
The test results are what's left over from last year. When I uncovered the pool last week I took a sample to the pool store. I have not added anything in the pool yet. I'm going to be adding about 3000 gallons of water to bring it up to the right level. Waiting on the delivery before I do anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
before I start my switch from Baquacil to SWG?
As a baqua user, I'm interested in how you got a test printout that contained specific baqua-related readings (biguanide and shock level). I do have a small LaMotte kit that seems fairly accurate for testing biguanide, but all the years I went to the pool store they only ever tested for the usual - CH, TA, PH, metals, overall SI, etc.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the presence of metals. Just use a product that ties them up, such as Pool Magnet when you refill it. Bioguard makes that product, but there are probably others around. MY mistake, when first filling my pool, was not to have been told about using something like that. As a result, my brand new plaster was permanently stained at every point a fill load (via fire truck) ended. It was heartbreaking, since those stains (though fading a bit over time) were there for the next 25 years. Could kick myself in the butt, retrospectively speaking, for not investing in getting water tanked in that I knew was clean. The pool company, Anthony, as I seem to recall was a bit weak on such info. I got the letter about 'making sure you add pool magnet to tie up any metals present in the fill water' a day or two AFTER filling the pool. 😡 Good luck with the conversion. Please post updates on it here.

As a baqua user, I'm interested in how you got a test printout that contained specific baqua-related readings (biguanide and shock level). I do have a small LaMotte kit that seems fairly accurate for testing biguanide, but all the years I went to the pool store they only ever tested for the usual - CH, TA, PH, metals, overall SI, etc.
The pool store where the previous owner bought the pool and the Baquacil chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.