Lewistown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Last season we battled metal staining in our pool. This year it’s the same thing. Vitamin C works to lift the stain and then I add sequestrant but a week later the staining starts to reoccur. I know we have high levels of phosphates from adding multiple bottles of sequestrants. The pool store says metal levels are not high, but what else would cause the yellow staining and be lifted with vitamin C? I don’t know what to do to avoid constant vitamin c treatment and sequestrants. Please help!

Phosphates have nothing to do with it. That's yet another example of poor pool store advice. Iron doesn't just go away once it's in the water. Maybe you are on well water? But you DO have iron, the Vitamin C confirms it. Depending on your water test results, your iron level may be so high that it reacts with just about any amount of chlorine.

You don't appear to have the PoolMath APP linked to TFP, so let's start with a full set of water test results. That gives us a good picture of the situation. Below is our AA process to remove stains, but it's starting to get a bit late in the season with warmer water to do it. Keep i mind even if you lift stains, they're still in the water and ideally you should exchange water to get rid of the iron permanently. If you don't you'll be forced to use a sequestrant indefinitely on a regular basis.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.