Metals in my TX pool

What kind of plaster is that? Any idea? Looks very similar to mine which is DB Tahoe Blue (diamondbrite I think) .. black flakes of aggregate underneath the blue. Very pretty.
Not sure. The previous owner has no info but I found the builder. They have no records from 11 years ago but offered to tell me as much as they could if I email them some pictures so I will do that next week. Yes, agree it’s pretty. I can’t imagine what it would look like with a good AA treatment!

If you end up doing an AA treatment, let us know if you have questions on the process!

If you end up doing an AA treatment, let us know if you have questions on the process!
You can count on that! As I think I mentioned in this thread, I intend to AA then drain/fill. I just do not want to have to add sequestrant on a regular basis. Now that I have determined (I think) that my Tap water has no iron, I’m going to spend some time understanding if anything else may be adding iron (like my orange/red waterfall rocks or coping). Hopefully it was just something the previous owner or PB did over the 9 year before I took ownership (maybe he had a lawn service that fertilized with a broadcast spreader 4 times per year perhaps). Thanks!!

Edited - I will wait till pool season is over. Fall at the earliest if not winter.

You can pretty easily test your tap water for iron by taking a very white 5 gallon bucket and filling it with the same fill water you'd use for your pool. After the water settles, take a photo, then add about 1 tbs of 12.5% chlorine to it, stir water... 1 day later, take another photo, 1 day later another photo etc. if there's iron in that water you should notice by day 1 the water turning a yellowish color, and by day 4 or 5 or so, the iron in the water may start falling out to the bottom of the bucket (leaving the bottom stained with iron) and the water color going from yellowish back to normal again.. I've been able to trace a smiley face on the bottom of the bucket with my finger from the iron staining, heh.
(this is totally non-scientific and just some testing that I've done that seems(?) to work and validate iron being in the water?)

If you do it with *2* white 5 gallons buckets, and only add chlorine to *1* bucket, you can see the differences at day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. If both behave indentically, the one bucket without chlorine, and the bucket with chlorine, then likely you don't have any iron in your water -- because you definitely should notice a substantial difference between the two buckets.

(again, non-scientific here)

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I just logged on to ask about my pool with similar issue and saw your photos pinned! Do you think mine is the same problem? My stains are on the sides of the pool, not so much on the bottom. Or maybe it's just not as bad on the bottom and not really visible yet...? The first pic is the side, the other two are the bottom.
IMG_3415.jpg IMG_3420.jpgIMG_3417.jpg

Image 3415 sure looks similar to mine. Get some plain old, chewable, vitamin C, put about 15 or 20 in a sock or some pantyhose and crush them up. I treated stains on the bottom and used a small rock to weightit down so that it would not float. If yours are on the side then maybe just grab a beer relax and hold it to the side for maybe 10 to 30 minutes. I had extremely obvious positive results in less than 30 minutes.

Reactions: sham
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.