Metal corrosion and PH

amin36

In The Industry
Nov 24, 2017
shahsavar
Guys

Does low PH(below 7) cause corrosion to metals itself alone even when the CSI number is in the correct range or is it the CSI number getting below the recommanded level that causes metal corrosion?

Thanks

Does low PH(below 7) cause corrosion to metals itself alone even when the CSI number is in the correct range
A low pH is the primary factor, although most times when the pH is that low (i.e. 6.8 and below) the CSI is also pulled down giving the impression CSI was the reason. But CSI determines how saturated the water is with calcium and how aggressive it may be to plaster products. Primarily a low pH is the reason for corrosion. See more good posts about this issue in the link below.

Reactions: amin36
I don’t know if this adds anything and if not, please ignore, but a mistake I made as recently as a few weeks ago was to conflate corrosive and caustic. Both low and high pH are bad for metals but are described differently and are independent of CSI. Low pH can give you metal corrosion and high pH can cause “caustic corrosion” at higher temps (like inside a heater). The upshot I guess is to the extent practical, keep an eye on both ends of the pH scale, not just low, and not just CSI, and follow the guidelines to prevent problems.

Reactions: amin36
A low pH is the primary factor, although most times when the pH is that low (i.e. 6.8 and below) the CSI is also pulled down giving the impression CSI was the reason. But CSI determines how saturated the water is with calcium and how aggressive it may be to plaster products. Primarily a low pH is the reason for corrosion. See more good posts about this issue in the link below.

Thank you,very informative!

I don’t know if this adds anything and if not, please ignore, but a mistake I made as recently as a few weeks ago was to conflate corrosive and caustic. Both low and high pH are bad for metals but are described differently and are independent of CSI. Low pH can give you metal corrosion and high pH can cause “caustic corrosion” at higher temps (like inside a heater). The upshot I guess is to the extent practical, keep an eye on both ends of the pH scale, not just low, and not just CSI, and follow the guidelines to prevent problems.
Thanks alot

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.