Mesh Safety Cover - New pup

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
I'm looking to replace my mesh safety cover, which is currently 19 years old. It still works, but it has deteriorated a bit over the years and is missing some stitching and a few of the abrasion strips, has a small hole or two, and is looking tired. I have found a company that can replace the identical cover, and it will cost about $2800 for identical MeycoLite material, including new springs, anchors, etc.

I can either place an order now and receive the cover by mid October, or I can wait and try to get one more year out of it. My dilemma is that we got a new puppy and she will be 6 months old and about 50 lbs by the time I close the pool. My gut tells me that a brand new cover will be safer in the event she tries to walk over the pool, but the old cover is probably strong enough to handle her weight as well. The area is fenced in, so she would only be exposed to the pool if someone was there with her. Does "one more year" make any sense at all, or should I just bite the bullet and place the order now for peace of mind? What would you do?

Seems that if the only access to the pool is when you are with the puppy, then you should just train the puppy to not walk on the cover ;)
And of course you would be there to monitor the pup if they did fall through the cover (which is probably unlikely)

If you're not sure that the cover will hold the weight, I would recommend replacing the cover.

If a dog, child or animal fell through you might not be around to react.

Even if you were there, you might not be able to get to the dog or person in time to save them.

An uncovered pool is safer than one with a compromised safety cover. If somebody goes in they are essentially trapped.

Since your green material is dropping, replace the cover. Those fibers will drive you & your filter crazy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.