Mesh or regular winter cover for Intex Ultra Frame?

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am looking at winter covers for when I close my pool. We have woods about 50 feet or so behind where the pool is but when it’s windy, leaves really fly into the pool but I go out several times a day to remove them and any small debris (I’m OCD and work from home lol). I always keep my chemicals balanced and have crystal clear water. Anyways, I have an Intex pool that I will be keeping up for the winter. I live in central Ohio so our weather is pretty unpredictable but lots of precipitation. Would a nice mesh cover be better since it won’t trap water in the center like a “regular” winter cover (I’ve read horrible reviews about those inflatable pillow things)? Are there any cons to them? I would love to hear your opinions! Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
A mesh cover lets water drain into your pool which can cause it to overflow if you don’t pump water out.

Do you want to deal with water on the top of a solid cover or in the pool in the winter?

Reactions: thefloatqueen
A mesh cover lets water drain into your pool which can cause it to overflow if you don’t pump water out.

Do you want to deal with water on the top of a solid cover or in the pool in the winter?

Not sure how the pool would overflow considering how much I will be having to drain for the winter. I will also be opening the pool as early as I can to get the chemicals, pump/filter running and maintaining the pool as I normally do despite the colder water and not swimming until it warms up. I did a search on TFP and I see people with both mesh and non-mesh covers opening to green pools and crystal clear pools in the spring.

I have had a solid winter cover (Midwest Canvass) since getting my pool in 2012. I maybe should have retired it last year (lots of tiny pinprick holes), but I'm going to plan on using it this year as well. I remove plumbing to my skimmer and eyelet, and lower the water level to however low it goes with that. With added precipitation and the solid cover, more water drains from the pool (due to displacement).

In the spring, I just place a cinder block on the cover to create a low spot and drain from there. Lots of nasty water on top because of leaves left to rot. Because of the pinholes, I can never fully drain the cover, so I just try my best (usually by myself) to take the cover off without dumping the contents into the pool. I usually suceed at that, but end up dumping the nasty water onto ME. It would be much easier with 2 people, but I have trouble coordinating this project with my wife for some reason.

I may consider a mesh cover, but I've honestly been impressed with the longevity of my solid cover.

I have been using a micromesh winter cover for mine for the past 3 years, and LOVE it.
I wish the trees were a hundred feet from my pool! Mine are over hanging my deck.
I don't use the drawstring, I hang old bleach bottles from the cover to keep it in place through the winter.

Is your pool free standing or does it have a deck around it?
I built a nice deck around mine and found a great company that makes wonderful covers that keep 99% of stuff out of my pool during the fall/winter months.

OMG how am I just seeing these replies?? ??‍♀️??‍♀️My notifications must be messed up lol. Anyways, I am about to buy a micro mesh cover as well but people are making me nervous lol it sounds like they either love them or hate them. How did you handle the leaves on top of the mesh cover? Leaf blower? Do you open to clear water in the spring?

EDIT: This was supposed to be a reply to @RonsPlc !! So sorry!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is your pool free standing or does it have a deck around it?
I built a nice deck around mine and found a great company that makes wonderful covers that keep 99% of stuff out of my pool during the fall/winter months.
So sorry! I replied to the wrong person!! I need my coffee bad lol but it is free standing...no deck.

I have been using a micromesh winter cover for mine for the past 3 years, and LOVE it.
I wish the trees were a hundred feet from my pool! Mine are over hanging my deck.
I don't use the drawstring, I hang old bleach bottles from the cover to keep it in place through the winter.
Hello! Please see second to last comment I accidentally responded to Kevin R but it was supposed to go to you! ??‍♀️??‍♀️ LOL!! I’m sleepy if you can’t tell! Thank you!

Regardless of mesh cover or solid/tarp, if the cover is dry you can use a leaf blower or a broom to sweep off any debris. If/once it’s wet, you’ll have to scoop out the nasty stuff that festers. Or pump the water off/out and sweep/blow whatever is left

also, whatever is gonna fall onto the pool is usually long done by the time it gets cold. So you really will only have the problem the first and last month it’s closed if spring comes early.

I want to close as late as I can get away with and open as early as I can get away with despite no one being able to swim (obviously). I’m in central Ohio so I’m curious how this is going to work out or if it’s a very smart idea. On paper it makes sense if I want to open to a clear pool in the Spring but we shall see. Really wanting to hear any opinions or experiences.

If you wait long enough to close, most of the leaves are gone. If you open early enough, you beat the pollen. Every spring I make the decision to open before the pollen knowing full well that it’s all going to fall into the pool. Even with a big pump and filter I may go cloudy at times until they catch up. But most of the days will look much nicer than the cover.

*edit*. My pool is still running but I put the cover on 2 weeks ago because it was hard to keep up with what was already falling. It’s easier to clean the cover than it is the pool. I’ll leave it running until it’s cold enough to close.

Reactions: gonfishin
*edit*. My pool is still running but I put the cover on 2 weeks ago because it was hard to keep up with what was already falling. It’s easier to clean the cover than it is the pool. I’ll leave it running until it’s cold enough to close.
Is it one of those leaf mesh covers or your actual winter cover you have on it now?

Winter cover. 99% solid but lets the water through. I wasn’t happy about having the trampoline back early, but too much was falling from the trees.

Winter cover. 99% solid but lets the water through. I wasn’t happy about having the trampoline back early, but too much was falling from the trees.

Would you mind please providing a link to the cover you have or letting me know the brand and model name for it? I like how it lets water through but is mostly solid. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

I looked at the tags when putting it on. The model wasn’t specified. It’s a loop lock and according to what I’ve read here I’m assuming it’s the 99% mesh. The other is 94% I believe and lets in bigger particles. When I bought mine the the lesser % one looked more like a screen. You could see through all the (tiny) stitched squares. Mine looks sold if you hold it up.

The micro mesh lets the water through, as a result, the leaves blow off with the wind.
I do have a float in the center of it, and the bottles hanging from the cover keep it tight to the pool, and across the top, which helps.
I will post a picture of it this weekend, as by the time I get home at night, it is already getting dark.
My pool has opened to clear water ever since I found TFP. All I end up doing in the spring is vacuuming the little bit that has filtered through the micro mesh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.