Mesh or metal fence

I think it depends on your situation. We have a pool cage with a mesh fence and it works wonderful keeping the kiddos out. The nice thing is we can take it down as they get older and enjoy the full use of our lanai. We also can lock the pool cage to keep people out. If you don't have any security around your pool then you might be looking at a metal fence.

Our whole backyard is fenced and lockable to meet the codes of the day. But when we moved into this house we wanted to put a fence around the pool for safety and to control access when the kids were little. We considered a steel fence but opted for a mesh one at the perimeter of the decking. That was almost 20 years ago and I am amazed how well it has stood up. Now that the the kids are older we have taken most of it down because it really opens up the yard. The fence company even provided plugs for the holes they drilled in the concrete in case we took the fence down. And its very easy to roll up and store. If we get a younger visitors it just takes a few minutes to put it back up again. I'll post pics if you are interested.

Thanks for the replies.

Right now we have three sides of the pool fenced in because the pool is situated in the back of the yard so the fence would just go from one end oic our property to the other.

I really do like the idea of a removable fence but our main concern is safety.
We are thinking that it would be easier to get through (over) a mesh fence rather than a metal one. I've also seen a lot of sagging mesh fences. Have you had any issue like that?

I have not had any issues like that. Our mesh fence is very tight and the kids could not climb it easily. We have no issues keeping them out. I think the sagging may be partially due to installation.

Our fence is pretty taut. and that was my concern since it curves 90 degrees over the 80 foot length of the fence. We have the 5 foot fence with a lockable gate. and the latch is at the top of the gate. So the kids couldn't get in on their own until they could reach that high anyway. I think this would be harder to climb over compared to a solid iron fence, less to hold on to, but it would be easier to cut through with scissors than an iron fence. When the kids were little access to the fence was as controlled as the pool. Only mom or dad could let them in the gate, so they lined up waiting for the time they could get in. Our neighbor got the shorter fence and I thought that was easier for the kids to reach the latch. I thought the whole thing was pretty self regulating. By the time the kids were tall enough and coordinated enough to open the fence on their own, they also had been taught to swim by then. Curious how old are the kids you are doing this for?

Last edited:
Yeah.. your older two are going to be able to get in no matter what! ;-) When we set up our fence my kids were 6, 5, 3, and 1...

Here are some pics of mine so you can get an idea what they look like after about 15 years. The section that gets a lot of direct sun is more worn than other parts. With the center section out, the ends of the fencing are a little slacker since the fence gets tension from the next section. I also included a pic of the drill holes and the sleeves the poles are inserted in. The double hole accommodates the gate frame.

20190628_104347.jpg20190628_104408.jpg20190628_104826.jpg20190628_104910.jpg
I probably would have completely taken the fence out, except we still use it occasionally as a clothes line. ;-)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.