Mesh Cover Question - Reel or no Reel?

Temane

Oct 7, 2023
Tennessee
We are new pool owners of a 20 x 42 Deer Creek Elite inground pool. We just god a mesh safety cover installed but will not be officially closeting the pool. Its more for when we dont want leaves and Crud falling in it on days when we arent using it. (So it may be on for up to 2 weeks or so at a stretch)

Anyway my question is: Does or Has anyone used a Reel to take you mesh cover on and off? And what size would you recommend?

Thanks
Temane

I have no experience with that particular reel, but wanted to at least welcome you to the forum. :wave: The forum is starting to get a little quite with people putting their pools to sleep for the winter, but we still have a good amount of viewers like me who leave their pools open year-round. Hopefully someone will see your question. Feel free to post back to this thread as much as needed for assistance.

Enjoy the forum. :swim:

I have a mesh safety cover. It's pretty heavy so I don't think I would attempt to use a reel to remove it from the pool. I have a reel but it's used for a solar cover which is a lot lighter than the mesh cover.

Reactions: Mdragger88
At 20x42 you will need a roller that can accept a 22' or more spacing between the rollers. This would typically mean extension pieces and 8nternal supports. I have a pool that is 24' wide at it's widest and the roller has all it can handle with the solar blanket. I would be surprised if it could handle a safety cover repeatedly going on and off

Aside from the reel, mesh covers get REALLY heavy and can be VERY difficult to manage if they drop in the pool and NEARLY impossible to recover. Ask me how I know.

When I take the cover off, I remove the springs from the long ends, so the long SIDES are still attached. I undo one spring on either side of the long side and fold that one section onto the next section that is still attached. I continue that process until the entire cover is dry and sitting at the end of the pool.

If you intend to undo all the springs and "reel" it onto the reel, I don't think it is possible with the mesh wet. Given my experience, I wouldn't attempt it.

Even if the reel could have the weight, you would likely need some help holding the reel in place. With just a solar cover, my reel will slide on the pool deck when unrolling the solar cover from the reel. I stopped this with 40 lbs sand bag drapped over the feet of the roller at each end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.