Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've got quotes for a mesh cover. Decisions are

* 91% mesh vs 99% mesh.
* Strapping every 5 feet or every 3 feet.
* Blue, Green, Tan or Gray Color

Is there data that says 99% is really any better for reducing Algae? That's the mfg claim.

Pool is small, 14 X 30. So not spanning super far. Will 5x5 spacing be sufficient?

I've got quotes for a mesh cover. Decisions are

* 91% mesh vs 99% mesh.
* Strapping every 5 feet or every 3 feet.
* Blue, Green, Tan or Gray Color

Is there data that says 99% is really any better for reducing Algae? That's the mfg claim.

Pool is small, 14 X 30. So not spanning super far. Will 5x5 spacing be sufficient?
When you open and close the pool has way more to do with algae resistance. There are covered pool with 100% solid covers that go full on swamp.

If the 99% isn’t much more expensive than it’s probably decent at keeping out dirt and other junk compared to the other but waiting to close the pool until the water temp is consistently below 60F and opening it again before it warms up to 60F will be much bigger contributor.

You can likely see through a 91%, while the 99% seems solid, even if held up to a light. Somebody I knew had a lower density mesh and it seemed more like a really fine screen to me than a cover. So I belive the claims are at least mostly true.

However, not chlorinating properly, closing when it's too early, or opening too late will likely make a swamp with any cover.

I have had 2 looploc covers with 5 ft spacing. Maybe the other brands need more support, I dunno. But 2 grown adults fell on my old cover at the same time and it laughed at us.

I close my pool when the leaves start dropping, I just put the cover on and run the pump about 1 hr a day until the water temp is in the 50’s. At that time I bring The pool up to shock level, blow the lines and put the pump in the basement.
When I open in the spring, I first leave the cover on , hook up the pump and circulate with 3”pucks. When it gets time to remove the cover I switch over to liquid chlorine and my pool is always gin clear. And I have a mesh cover. Mine is also 5’ spacing on a 16x32 . No problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.