Melted plastic in back of pool light

MEKtone

Dec 8, 2022
Houston
I have a 1985 vintage pool with a PacFab light (Model 60-XX5X). I pulled it because it was leaking and there was what looked like melted plastic goo in the back of the light. Like maybe it was a plastic seal that melted when the light got hot?

Should I replace the whole thing or is it OK to use?

Welcome to TFP.

Show us pictures of the melted plastic goo, the light and the light niche.

That goo may be potting compound required over the bonding jumper in the niche.

(b) Nonmetallic Conduit. Where a nonmetallic conduit is used, an 8 AWG insulated solid or stranded copper bonding jumper shall be installed in this conduit unless a listed low-voltage lighting system not requiring grounding is used.
The bonding jumper shall be terminated in the forming shell, junction box or transformer enclosure, or ground fault circuit-interrupter enclosure.
The termination of the 8 AWG bonding jumper in the forming shell shall be covered with, or encapsulated in, a listed potting compound to protect the connection from the possible deteriorating effect of pool water.

The melting potting compound seems to be a common issue with this model of light. There's another thread elsewhere on this forum describing a similar experience. I have these lights, and noticed some melting of the compound when I last changed a burned out bulb (but no evidence of leaking). I put in a 300w bulb in place of the 500w and that will hopefully prolong the life of the fixture. Lights are GFCI protected.

Still planning to replace my lights at some point - I'd be interested in hearing what fixture you choose, as these lights are slightly smaller than the standard Amerilights and I assume the niches may not fit all lights.

The melting potting compound seems to be a common issue with this model of light. There's another thread elsewhere on this forum describing a similar experience. I have these lights, and noticed some melting of the compound when I last changed a burned out bulb (but no evidence of leaking). I put in a 300w bulb in place of the 500w and that will hopefully prolong the life of the fixture. Lights are GFCI protected.

Still planning to replace my lights at some point - I'd be interested in hearing what fixture you choose, as these lights are slightly smaller than the standard Amerilights and I assume the niches may not fit all lights.
I hope other fixtures fit in this niche. It's L-253919 niche. Does anyone have experience with replacing with a Amerilight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dusting off this thread to say that I successfully replaced one of my PacFab Hatteras pool lights with a standard Pentair Amerlite. The Amerlites are compatible with the PacFab Hatteras niche, and the light fit perfectly. The Amerlite lens is slightly larger than the Hatteras lens, but the overall fixture dimensions are almost identical.

PSA - be careful when yanking on the light cord to un-stick it and pull it out of the conduit! I sliced my finger pretty badly on the locking tab at the bottom of the light niche.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.