Meanwhile in Australia...

Yep, get them on the floor, too. First time actually that I had one in the skimmer box, was quite a surprise... And suction cleaner wasn't running.

It should be a trap door spider.

When I first found one of them in the pool, I thought it surely must be a funnel web. The Sydney funnel web spider is one of the deadliest spiders. Luckily, we don't get that in Melbourne, and the Victorian funnel web shouldn't live in our area either. So, I sent a picture in to Museums Victoria. They offer an identification service, and told me that these are trap door spiders. Not considered dangerous. Their bite is still supposed to be quite painful, but they are not aggressive.

Certainly another motivation to keep the pool as clear as possible and to remove leaves before swimming. They can survive quite a long time under water, up to now they were all still alive when I fished them out...

They do look quite creepy in their burrows. Found one in a garden bed. During the night you just see two legs poking out of the tunnel. During the day the burrow is nicely sealed, to be opened again after sunset. Dug up a few when replacing a retaining wall. Wanna do that with gloves on and solid boots. Steel caps give a warm, fuzzy feeling there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a huntsman. We have a love-hate relationship with them. We like them because they eat other spiders we have a clear hate-hate relationship with, and because they don't build webs. But they are big. And fast. So we prefer them to stay outside. Not aggressive at all, but apparently their bite can still be quite painful.

Have look at that one:
Huntsman on fridge

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.