MD - VA - PA - DE - DC - When are you opening?

My "soft" opening consists of removing the cover. We like to sit out on the deck and looking at the water is very relaxing. So essentially the pool is opened, albeit cold. I tested the heater yesterday and it fired right up. So I could in theory heat the water from 60 to 90 and start swimming. But the cost to do this will most likely be $400 between now and memorial day. I will lose a lot of heat at night and daytime temps won't be high enough to maintain much heat either. We'll see if the days start to heat up to consistent 80s I might just do it.
NEPA here, opened last Saturday (4/10). Started out at 50 degrees and pool was clear and 85 degrees by Sunday night. Kids were just in today.

Attachments

• 20210417_113821_HDR(1).jpg
    20210417_113821_HDR(1).jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 17
NEPA also. I'm opening mine this week too. I'm in the process of re-doing my equipment pad, adding a SWG, and replacing hoses with PVC. It won't be warm enough to swim in, and I don't have a heater, but I want to get it open before the water gets too warm.

Reactions: Newdude
NEPA here too! Opened on the 10th. Went swimming yesterday. Pool feels great. Opened with just a little dirt from the mesh openings in the safety cover. Nothing but a 10 min vacuum and then through our new robot in we just got from Marina Pools. Great investment by the way.

Reactions: Newdude
It snowed in Pittsburgh today. First time the pool's been open when it snowed. Supposed to get to down to 28° tonight. First time the pool's been open in freezing temps. 🥶

Here in Northern NJ I normally open my ABG on or about Memorial Day.

I find that the weather does not stay consistently warm enough until that date.

Opening for me involves uncovering, adding water, reattaching the pump, filter, and SWG, balancing / SLAMing and then installing the solar cover. Take about a day + SLAM time.

Many times I open to water that is still clear, so the SLAM is basically a OCLT

It snowed in Pittsburgh today. First time the pool's been open when it snowed. Supposed to get to down to 28° tonight. First time the pool's been open in freezing temps. 🥶
yep with the weather being so crazy here in the 'burgh (70's one day, freezing/snow two days later), I wake up in the morning, look out the window, and wonder what season we'll have today.

Openining a little earlier this year. For the last few springs, (except last year...covid) we get asked by friends if they or their kids can take prom pictures out by the pool / waterfall / grotto. Between the groups of kids, their families, friends, etc, there can be 40-50 people back there. 2 years ago it was closer to 75-85. Of course we're happy to oblige, even put out snacks and liquid refreshment for the parents and relatives taking pictures. Usually its in mid- May, this year its on the 29th, forcing me to open and try to look presentable a couple weeks earlier than usual.

Last edited:
Wow everyone opens their pool up so early! I'm in Northern W.VA and won't be opening it until Memorial Day weekend. Of course, we don't have a heater and our solar cover can only do so much haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Factors to consider when opening are trees dropping flowers, seeds, pollen and ragweed. We had our plaster done a couple weeks ago, so we had to fill it May 1. I won't open that early next year due to the ragweed and the "helicopters" floating down to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.